Thread: ARM, Globalfoundries sign strategic partnership

ARM, Globalfoundries sign strategic partnership

"The companies said they have signed a "broad agreement" on processor implementation and circuit optimization to give their mutual customers an enablement program aimed at next generation system on a chip (SoC) applications.

The program is built around a suite of ARM Physical IP, Fabric IP and Process IP and will focus initially on implementing low power and high performance ARM Cortex -A9 processors on Globalfoundries' 28 nanometer HKMG (high k metal gate) process.
    Warren East, CEO of ARM, said: "This collaboration with Globalfoundries and their commitment to delivering leading edge technology makes them an idea; partner to accelerate the adoption of ARM processor based technology at 28 nanometres"".

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/44200/135/

>intel 4004
    First FreeScale, then ARM. And AMD (plus ATI) is a natural customer.
    Altera, Xillinx shoule be interested in a new foundry than TSMC given 40 nm woes.

And what's next? NVIDIA?

Banned
    Sure, once they actually have something that requires fabrication.

On a slightly different note, there's an article over at TG Daily that quotes an anal-yst stating there will be a reduction in pure play foundries down to three next year.

Not that I believe what any anal-yst says, but it's getting tougher to compete or even tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    First FreeScale, then ARM. And AMD (plus ATI) is a natural customer.
    Altera, Xillinx shoule be interested in a new foundry than TSMC given 40 nm woes.

And what's next? NVIDIA?
    nVidia recently joined the SOI Consortium, I can only guess they want to build something on a SOI process, and there's no real alternative to GF...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    nVidia recently joined the SOI Consortium, I can only guess they want to build something on a SOI process, and there's no real alternative to GF...
    TSMC is in that consortium!

http://www.soiconsortium.org/members...of-members.php

Maybe it is something for 22nm or below.

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
    Never heard of the company line "we are actively investigating any options to lower leakages in transistors of our future designs"?

This is one of it, but "will it be implemented anytime soon?", this is what you'll get from that NVIDIA PR: "we won't comment on anything about future products."