Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Haswell is a graphics monster

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    Like I have been saying, most people seem to ignore this and just go on FPS alone. Intel graphics are stuttery, drivers are unstable and IQ is noticeable worse than AMD or NV. What these reviews fail to show is that for some new games Intel graphics are virtually unplayable. You have to wait 6 months for a fix... Intel graphics are useless, really.

They don't stutter, are stable and anisotoropic filtering is much improved in Ivy Bridge, probably better than AMDs VLIW4 AF flickering shit. You have no clue about what you are talking here. Some people are afraid about Intels iGPU progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rofas View Post
    They don't stutter, are stable and anisotoropic filtering is much improved in Ivy Bridge, probably better than AMDs VLIW4 AF flickering shit. You have no clue about what you are talking here. Some people are afraid about Intels iGPU progress.
    You do realize that Ivy Bridge would need to improve upon Sandy Bridge more in AF in a single generation (HD3000->HD4000) than ATI/AMD and Nvidia did in years? We're talking more improvement in AF then ATI/AMD from 1xxx to 5xxx or Nvidia from 7xxx to GT2xx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper
    Yes, you can quote me on that

Doesn't Intel have a history of cheating in 3dmark? (i.e. offloading their GPU work to the CPU in their driver)

Why would anybody use synthetic benchmarks these days, they are not proportional to actual performance.
    "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    Doesn't Intel have a history of cheating in 3dmark? (i.e. offloading their GPU work to the CPU in their driver)

Why would anybody use synthetic benchmarks these days, they are not proportional to actual performance.
    Yes - http://techreport.com/articles.x/17732

Trinity will thump IVB in gaming...even Llano will thump IVB in gaming. Haswell might just get on Llano's level.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Trinity will thump IVB in gaming...even Llano will thump IVB in gaming. Haswell might just get on Llano's level.
    Interesting find, this is pretty foul play. I'd say balancing stuff onto the CPU is okay but only if your CPU load is sufficiently low enough, and of course in real games it'll be higher. Although you're probably still severely GPU limited on pretty much any Sandy Bridge processor. Application-specific tweaks are bad in general either way, but especially when it's for a non-game benchmark.

However, I do think in the interest of fairness this would have to be performed on their current IGPs, because 2009 is quite drastically far back in terms of capability. This isn't even Clarkdale, much less Gen 7/Gen 7.5/whatever. Things DO improve sometimes.

If Haswell really does have 2.5x the EUs as HD 4000 then saying it "just might get on Llano's level" is pretty pessimistic. Of course I'm also pessimistic about it really having 40 EUs.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I thought Sandy Bridge solved this? Can anyone point to a more recent link if Intel is still playing around?

I suppose anyone with HD2000 or HD3000 graphics can check just by renaming the .exe

Would also be nice to see some recent Vantage scores for them.

Administrator
    I hope it isn't the same source who gave Charlie the Ivy Bridge stacked memory nonsense.
    Don't confuse you never seeing something with it not being done.

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by podspi View Post
    If Intel is rotting away from the inside, what is AMD doing
    Dancing on a rotten board over a cliff.

-Charlie

(Yes, that was intended)

SB iGPU will melt your laptop if you try gaming on it.

I played Portal 2 for about 15 minutes on an i5 with HD3000 or whatever it's called. The "playable" settings for 768P were minimally/unfiltered and ugly, and a small airliner began takeoff procedures inside my notebook. I couldn't hear the game at all over the fan-noise.

The heat readings from speedfan were terrifying. I would never want any part of my laptop to hit 80C, but there we were...

suffice to say I returned it, and will not purchase again until I can find a decent screen and a real GPU (and drivers).

Calling SB competitive with Llano in any measure of graphics is delusional.