Page 9 of 184 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony Playstation 4 will be an x86 CPU with an AMD GPU

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    Corrections? How about a completely different mask?
    Gate-first and gate-last.
    Yeah, I downplayed I little but I didn't forget they were G-F/G-L.

Parallel projects? True, even IF the PlayStation "Orbit" chip was actually two chips (or 3 chips).
    So? No problem, right? I don't want to dabble in a specific piece of information that has no relevance.

What about wafer starts? Will they have different wafer starts in GlobalFoundries? I doubt it, it is going to affect the distribution of volume for AMD in GlobalFoundries if the wafer starts remained more or less the same.
    GF will have a whole new Fab churning 28nm wafers. GF 28nm capacity will be much better by then. And maybe Samsung is available, as I said.

Anyway. Maybe Sony will go with a huge CPU + Discrete GPU anyway. It's a wait-and-see game now.

I still don't see Sony going less than 8 cores. That would show them to be going backwards in the public eye. They made a really big push on the fact that The Cell had so many synergised cores and the public ate into it.

Wouldn't 6 cores be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by seinfeldx View Post
    Wouldn't 6 cores be enough?
    Any more than four is overkill for application-specific workloads...six/octo/duodeca/hexadeci core counts are really aimed for people who multitask. PS4 you will be doing only one thing out these three things: social, gaming, entertainment.

what about physics done on cpu cores?

Quote Originally Posted by seinfeldx View Post
    what about physics done on cpu cores
    Might be an x64/x86 CPU but the instruction set will be highly tweaked to be exploited by Sony/third party developers... Physics for games won't be a problem. Scientific calculation is set for GPGPU these days so this Sony tweaked Kaveri might have dedicated ALUs for only physics.

CPU Physics => Not a problem if you are using your own ISA
    GPU Science => Can also calculate physics.

If true that second hand games won't get full options in game so they can get easy money ( one of the stupidest moves in my opinion, i'm already full with all those DRM on games that make people use hacked executable files so they can play the game they own, can't they stop wasting time and money in DRM and just do good game so people want to buy)
    and/or Ps4 won't have ps3 compatibility or option to buy ps3 games online ( that work on ps4, obvious) at decent Ps3 platinum prices or lower and/or get it free if you already have a copy of the game for ps3, if so i won't buy it.

Still very happy with ps2 and pc, its horrible how less and less oriental games with voices in english and/or subs come to euro market, oriental market is starting to be the only one with good and/or original games, with all this globalization why do we still have 3 standards instead of 1?
    It would be nice to have only one console that can play american, euro and oriental games.

Quote Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
    Might be an x64/x86 CPU but the instruction set will be highly tweaked to be exploited by Sony/third party developers... Physics for games won't be a problem. Scientific calculation is set for GPGPU these days so this Sony tweaked Kaveri might have dedicated ALUs for only physics.

CPU Physics => Not a problem if you are using your own ISA
    GPU Science => Can also calculate physics.
    Does anybody know if Sony/AMD have anything in the work about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Seronx View Post
    Any more than four is overkill for application-specific workloads...six/octo/duodeca/hexadeci core counts are really aimed for people who multitask. PS4 you will be doing only one thing out these three things: social, gaming, entertainment.
    Again you're thinking of current games. Physics, AI, scale etc. are all things that need to be improved on in the future and I believe they will be. Physics and AI specifically are the biggest areas where things need to improve. For physics we need cloth deformation, organic tissue movement, more realistic simulations. For AI we need to move beyond basic programming principals and actually into the realm of proper AI. Both of which take a lot of computing power and to be able to run multiple versions of both, more cores would be ideal, especially more Bulldozer like cores as a single Bulldozer core is weak.

You can say you can do GPU based physics and all that, but the GPU will be busy doing graphics and it wouldn't make much sense to share the CPUs burden. Just like how no one has actively chosen to use PhysX in their games.

Quote Originally Posted by fatty2nd View Post
    You can say you can do GPU based physics and all that, but the GPU will be busy doing graphics and it wouldn't make much sense to share the CPUs burden. Just like how no one has actively chosen to use PhysX in their games.
    I remember a planned feature named Quality of Services in HSA.
    It seems to enable partitioning and/or prioritizing of GPU resources. Let's say some for maintaining smooth gameplay, some for physics and some for AI. It is the same as how we design the game engines and even real-time applications for a number of cores, isn't it?