Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TSMC suddenly halts 28nm production

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by xstec View Post
    The amount of attention this story is getting across the interweb is unreal.

Good reporting Charlie.
    Thanks. This was a bitch to dig out, heard it first a a week and a half ago, and took this long to confirm. There is almost NO info floating, and people are keeping details tight if any were actually given by TSMC. It is a really odd situation.

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
    That's why TSMC/digitimes was quick on denying/smokescreening it: "TSMC close to full capacity for 2Q12"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120307PD211.html

This was released many hours ago, and it seems that nobody took notice.
    Except the quote, and the ones from Bit-Tech, have nothing to do with the problem. None of them actually say it is not shut down. The only person who did is a paid shill for TSMC, and he is about as trustworthy as, well, he seems.

-Charlie

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Or they have nothing to do with each other. May I suggest you actually bother to go though possibilities before you leap to conclusions that fit your biases?

-Charlie
    And may I kindly ask you not to call me biased? It's unpolite and you have no basis for it. Thank you. Don't you think that if 28nm production has been actually halted for so long now we would have heard it from somewhere else? Are you sure your sources on this are accurate or are they semiaccurate?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    And may I kindly ask you not to call me biased? It's unpolite and you have no basis for it. Thank you. Don't you think that if 28nm production has been actually halted for so long now we would have heard it from somewhere else? Are you sure your sources on this are accurate or are they semiaccurate?
    Hmm, interesting, I wonder why there isn't a single HD7870 or HD7850 in stock... Might be because of this...

8-bit overflow
    Planned paperlaunch maybe? I don't know. I would imagine such a long halt of production would be reflected in the stock price as well. They lose a lot of money every day after all.

... Don't you think that if 28nm production has been actually halted for so long now we would have heard it from somewhere else?...
    Well, isn't that the point of a scoop? And of the parties involved, who would want this information in broad daylight? TSMC? Their customers? A bunch of lawyers - maybe Surely there are NDA clauses in the paperworks just for such a case. And Nvidia still can blame TSMC for whatever goes wrong privately: 'you didn't hear this from me, but TSMC screwed up that's why Kepler was late/yielding bad/expensive/blue....'.

... Are you sure your sources on this are accurate or are they semiaccurate?
    It's already in the name Whether you trust Charlie is your choice.

Does anybody with clues about manufacturing know how those events usually are handled? Do Fab customers get something in return for lost time? Or is it handled in the manner of force majeure?

And may I kindly ask you not to call me biased? It's unpolite and you have no basis for it.
    Stop being a hypocrite. Or at least use a different username here or over at XS....

I wonder why there isn't a single HD7870 or HD7850 in stock... Might be because of this...
    Availability was announced to be after march 19th. This could indeed be an attempt to make sure the supply will be somewhat continous, not just one shipment and then a period of "out of stock".

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthShader View Post
    Stop being a hypocrite. Or at least use a different username here or over at XS....
    Is your name Charlie? If not, my reply doesn't concern you. If you want to get personal, write me a PN. Thank you.

8-bit overflow
    Thanks. This was a bitch to dig out, heard it first a a week and a half ago, and took this long to confirm. There is almost NO info floating, and people are keeping details tight if any were actually given by TSMC. It is a really odd situation.

-Charlie
    IIRC, the last time something like this happened, didn't it eventually turn out to be clean room contamination from an air leak? Are the 40 nm and 28 nm production facilities in separate clean rooms?

David

Except the quote, and the ones from Bit-Tech, have nothing to do with the problem. None of them actually say it is not shut down. The only person who did is a paid shill for TSMC, and he is about as trustworthy as, well, he seems.

-Charlie
    Exactly. That's why I used "smokescreening". =)