Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Piledriver-based Vishera, Next AMD FX

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    AMD is falling in this very same trap with Trinity. While the chip is very competent in the segments it plans to serve, it is more than double the size of IVB's dual core, which will be its main competitor for the entire life span. I pretty much doubt that it will make a lot of money for AMD.
    what you seem to forget is amd has nowhere near the profit per part needs that intel does. do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    what you seem to forget is amd has nowhere near the profit per part needs that intel does. do the math.
    Agreed. I just said that they won't make too much money.

640k who needs more?
    So what? It won't boost AMD's balance sheet. Price and/or small die size would, and right now AMD does not have any of them,
    yup, selling out every trinity die and getting more design wins than llano will definitely negatively impact amd's balance sheet year-on-year..

amd is dooooooooooooooomed! again! and again!

Quote Originally Posted by wuttz View Post
    yup, selling out every trinity die and getting more design wins than llano will definitely negatively impact amd's balance sheet year-on-year..
    Since when "won't make too much money" means "negatively impact the balance sheet" or "AMD is doomed"?

640k who needs more?
    Since when "won't make too much money" means "negatively impact the balance sheet" or "AMD is doomed"?
    its really a waste of time, so i skipped the rosy cheeks part and went straight for the overkill.

i tell you, amd is dooooooooooooooomed!

8-bit overflow

Design wins alone does not make profitability

Quote Originally Posted by wuttz View Post

amd is dooooooooooooooomed! again! and again!
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential. It depends on how many ATP units are in the market for people to purchase.

As I commented with little more detail under this news page (still awaiting moderation as of 14:50 EST) as a reply to beenthere's post

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24179

unless the trinity laptops are available on stores/(re/e-)tailers AMD gets little benefit out of it....

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential. It depends on how many ATP units are in the market for people to purchase.

As I commented with little more detail under this news page (still awaiting moderation as of 14:50 EST) as a reply to beenthere's post

unless the trinity laptops are available on stores/(re/e-)tailers AMD gets little benefit out of it....
    AMD won't have any problem getting into stores, last year for the first time that I could recall a local electronic store flyer were dominated by AMD laptops for their back to school. Getting a CPU that sips power really opened up markets for AMD that they couldn't get into to.

8-bit overflow

My post is up

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24232

Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential.
    The same could be said about smaller dies and whatever thing that passes your mind when you are speculating.

AMD is strong in desktop processors, with 43 percent of the market, the same as last year.
    Really the desktop is the least of AMD's worries.

http://www.techpowerup.com/164915/AM...nse-in-Q1.html