Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 205

Thread: Piledriver-based Vishera, Next AMD FX

  1. #121
    640k who needs more?
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    AMD is falling in this very same trap with Trinity. While the chip is very competent in the segments it plans to serve, it is more than double the size of IVB's dual core, which will be its main competitor for the entire life span. I pretty much doubt that it will make a lot of money for AMD.
    what you seem to forget is amd has nowhere near the profit per part needs that intel does. do the math.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    what you seem to forget is amd has nowhere near the profit per part needs that intel does. do the math.
    Agreed. I just said that they won't make too much money.

  3. #123
    640k who needs more?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    So what? It won't boost AMD's balance sheet. Price and/or small die size would, and right now AMD does not have any of them,
    yup, selling out every trinity die and getting more design wins than llano will definitely negatively impact amd's balance sheet year-on-year..


    amd is dooooooooooooooomed! again! and again!

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by wuttz View Post
    yup, selling out every trinity die and getting more design wins than llano will definitely negatively impact amd's balance sheet year-on-year..
    Since when "won't make too much money" means "negatively impact the balance sheet" or "AMD is doomed"?

  5. #125
    640k who needs more?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    Since when "won't make too much money" means "negatively impact the balance sheet" or "AMD is doomed"?
    its really a waste of time, so i skipped the rosy cheeks part and went straight for the overkill.


    i tell you, amd is dooooooooooooooomed!

  6. #126
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    302

    Design wins alone does not make profitability

    Quote Originally Posted by wuttz View Post
    yup, selling out every trinity die and getting more design wins than llano will definitely negatively impact amd's balance sheet year-on-year..


    amd is dooooooooooooooomed! again! and again!
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential. It depends on how many ATP units are in the market for people to purchase.

    As I commented with little more detail under this news page (still awaiting moderation as of 14:50 EST) as a reply to beenthere's post

    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24179

    unless the trinity laptops are available on stores/(re/e-)tailers AMD gets little benefit out of it....

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential. It depends on how many ATP units are in the market for people to purchase.

    As I commented with little more detail under this news page (still awaiting moderation as of 14:50 EST) as a reply to beenthere's post

    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24179

    unless the trinity laptops are available on stores/(re/e-)tailers AMD gets little benefit out of it....
    AMD won't have any problem getting into stores, last year for the first time that I could recall a local electronic store flyer were dominated by AMD laptops for their back to school. Getting a CPU that sips power really opened up markets for AMD that they couldn't get into to.

  8. #128
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    302

    My post is up

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential. It depends on how many ATP units are in the market for people to purchase.

    As I commented with little more detail under this news page (still awaiting moderation as of 14:50 EST) as a reply to beenthere's post

    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24179

    unless the trinity laptops are available on stores/(re/e-)tailers AMD gets little benefit out of it....
    http://semiaccurate.com/2012/06/01/a...#comment-24232

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,237
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
    Design wins alone do not make it profitable. It just is a indication of the potential.
    The same could be said about smaller dies and whatever thing that passes your mind when you are speculating.

  10. #130
    AMD is strong in desktop processors, with 43 percent of the market, the same as last year.
    Really the desktop is the least of AMD's worries.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/164915/AM...nse-in-Q1.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux