Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Piledriver-based Vishera, Next AMD FX

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Hiroshi is very very solid. He gets things wrong from time to time but he's very good.
    Agreed. It's a damn shame he doesn't write in a language I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexko View Post
    Agreed. It's a damn shame he doesn't write in a language I can understand.
    shame on you, for not understanding his language

Quote Originally Posted by olikan View Post
    shame on you, for not understanding his language
    Maybe one day.

pricing is going to be very favorable
    I don't like to hear that.
    I would easily believe 'much better performance' if they said that it would be expensive.
    "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
    [Albert Einstein]

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedas View Post
    I don't like to hear that.
    I would easily believe 'much better performance' if they said that it would be expensive.
    Don't be so sure. Remember they are competing against Intel, who is borderline paying OEMs to make 'Ultrabooks', in addition to co-marketing, etc.

I can't imagine anybody imagines that Trinity is going to wipe the floor with Ivy Bridge in GPU performance, CPU performance, AND battery life.

If it did, yea we could expect very high pricing. But all I want is the CPU performance to be high enough that we're GPU bottlenecked @ 1080.

Edit: Oh and competitive battery life. Having experienced Bobcat and reading about Llano, they are pretty much there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    I rather doubt they did another version of Trinity with 8 cores. Since it has two GPU's, I'm assuming it's two Trinity chips stuffed in a MCM, kind of like they do for the 16 core server chips.

I like the fact that they are even playing with this however. That will be a pretty badass IGP, especially with AMDs excellent Xfire scaling.

Does Intel have anything like Xfire/SLI? (yeah, I know, they have enough trouble just doing DX11 and basic drivers, heh)
    I tend to believe, that statement is refering to 4-module Vishera, not Trinity. And he hinted that there *maybe* a mobile Vishera coming.

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by podspi View Post
    I can't imagine anybody imagines that Trinity is going to wipe the floor with Ivy Bridge in GPU performance, CPU performance, AND battery life.
    Not likely but it wouldn't surprise me if Trinity beats Ivy Bridge in two of those three categories. It's pretty much a given that Trinity will spank Ivy Bridge in GPU performance since even the current Llano processors already do that. I seriously doubt AMD will close the gap in CPU performance this generation. Power consumption could be up for grabs however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakray View Post
    I tend to believe, that statement is refering to 4-module Vishera, not Trinity. And he hinted that there *maybe* a mobile Vishera coming.
    I thought so too, until I hit the part of "two 7 series GPUs". Who puts two 7 series GPUs in a laptop if (at least) one isn't integrated?

I suppose it could be a really highend laptop that uses two of AMDs top of the line 7 series.

Don't know, but a MCM trinity would be kind of neat.
    "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    Not likely but it wouldn't surprise me if Trinity beats Ivy Bridge in two of those three categories. It's pretty much a given that Trinity will spank Ivy Bridge in GPU performance since even the current Llano processors already do that. I seriously doubt AMD will close the gap in CPU performance this generation. Power consumption could be up for grabs however.
    If AMD can achieve the intended clocks for BDZ, and noting that Ivy Bridge increase very little it's performance, I would say Piledriver can keep up with Ivy. But if can they do that and keep power under control?

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakray View Post
    agreed - mobile vishera with discrete (mobile) gpu is the only thing that makes ton of sense - the other ideas are pipedreams.

a) presumably they can just bin mobile vishera so the additional investment is minimal.

b) you can bet your bottom dollar that intel is doing everything they can to have nv mobile in their high end skus (other than "promoting" integrated of course LOL) - it's in their best interest to do so - and if so, where does that leave amd mobile parts? on a shelf somewhere in taiwan, that's where.

c) as previously posted, vast majority of mobile high end is intel cpu = any extra business for amd here is pure upside.

d) intel makes big profit on those high end i7 2820qf 45W TDP skus. Whatever bom cost intel cpu + nv gpu is for OEMs, AMD vishera + 7000 mobile can probably undercut by half and still make money on a per transaction basis (as i've said before, who cares about margin % - its how much profit you make per unit of measure (cpu/gpu bundle in this case) that counts.