Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: GTX680 is beaten by HD 7970 in double precision floating-point

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgentD View Post
    NO GAMES USE THESE AT ALL!
    Pretty sure everyone here already knew this. There ARE some uses for GPUs besides games, you know...

i386 bit
    its funny how things end inverting completely..

Quote Originally Posted by rarson View Post
    Pretty sure everyone here already knew this. There ARE some uses for GPUs besides games, you know...
    exactly.. and funny again.. wasnt Nvidia pushing hard for CUDA, processing, etc..
    these are NOT FOR GAMING, yet they keep announcing them as "extras" (which users hardly used)

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    its funny how things end inverting completely..

exactly.. and funny again.. wasnt Nvidia pushing hard for CUDA, processing, etc..
    these are NOT FOR GAMING, yet they keep announcing them as "extras" (which users hardly used)
    But Techpower up still praises:
    "Support for CUDA and PhysX"

Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    But Techpower up still praises:
    "Support for CUDA and PhysX"
    That covers the Reviewer's Guide requirement for mentioning CUDA and PhysX without actually having to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I am betting both camps are waiting for more wafers and to see what the other side does. First to move tends to lose.

-Charlie
    So this is why the 7990 was removed from all slides? It's intended launch was estimated to be next month and seemed pretty much definitive if the leaks were right. Then it simply vanished. Maybe AMD got info that nvidias' GK104 was very good on perf/watt and decided to postpone 7990 (New Zealand if I remember the codename).

This could also explain why AMD launched cape verde before Pitcairn. "GK104" would target the old "performance range" addressed by pitcairn. Launching it a month later gives AMD a 1 month buffer "to see what nvidia could do" and would be somewhat harmless (since it would just be a matter of shuffling launches).

EDIT: before I forget, this 1 month would give AMD more info about any needed clock/voltage tweaks on Pitcairn.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rarson View Post
    Please take all talk of 'adult content' to either flamewars or the others sections. Thank you.

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
    So this is why the 7990 was removed from all slides? It's intended launch was estimated to be next month and seemed pretty much definitive if the leaks were right. Then it simply vanished. Maybe AMD got info that nvidias' GK104 was very good on perf/watt and decided to postpone 7990 (New Zealand if I remember the codename).

This could also explain why AMD launched cape verde before Pitcairn. "GK104" would target the old "performance range" addressed by pitcairn. Launching it a month later gives AMD a 1 month buffer "to see what nvidia could do" and would be somewhat harmless (since it would just be a matter of shuffling launches).

EDIT: before I forget, this 1 month would give AMD more info about any needed clock/voltage tweaks on Pitcairn.
    They were pretty clear it was after all of the other chips had launched when they briefed us last Dec. No official word about an update yet though, I will ask when I can.

-Charlie