Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 172

Thread: Did AMD miss a Golden opportunity with Bobcat?

  1. #131
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    483
    I expect the intel win8 tablet to do better than the ARM win8 tablets. Software compatibility would be a huge issue that just get people to buy. Also android works fine. Most people who buy tablets also seem to want apple so its kinda a bad race to be in imo.

  2. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    They won't. It's a niche market, even if Windows 8 surpasses Microsoft's wildest expectations it won't sell 50 million tablets in the coming year.

    50 million is actually pretty good obviously, but when you look at how many of them are after a slice of the pie, it's clear that none of them could even consider prioritising tablets for 28nm. Not even Apple did, and if the dominant market leader isn't...

    We're probably talking 10 million sales absolute best case for anyone except Apple - for the best non-iPad tablet. Even AMD and possibly even Nvidia would turn that down if it meant giving up 28nm wafers. Tablets are b-grade consumer items and this isn't going to change so long as Apple has a stranglehold and 28nm wafers are more profitable elsewhere.

    I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I want to point out that Apple has recently begun shipping A5/X fabbed on Samsung's 32nm.

  3. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by esrever View Post
    I expect the intel win8 tablet to do better than the ARM win8 tablets. Software compatibility would be a huge issue that just get people to buy. Also android works fine. Most people who buy tablets also seem to want apple so its kinda a bad race to be in imo.
    I can see Win8 doing fine on X64, since it's the next Windows.

    I'm not sure what will motivate people to pick up WARM devices...fondness for IE???

  4. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    825
    Battery life?? performance for that batterylife?? A Snapdragon S4 PRO would destroy HONDO.... depending on drivers probably edge it in graphics also..

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by french toast View Post
    Battery life?? performance for that batterylife?? A Snapdragon S4 PRO would destroy HONDO.... depending on drivers probably edge it in graphics also..
    It's hard to determine how would ARM perform on longer battery-life or even non-battery platform. According to my view on Cortex-A15, and somebody hinted at B3D, that the approach of fully-functional A15 is very closed to AMD K10. OTOH, we need a fair method to test the CPU between ARM and x86, but IMO it's hard to do it now.

    In cellphone, any benchmark is pointless yet, not to mention tablet version. But, I expect Qualcomm and Samsung would bring some surprise to us, Nvidia would do well in its GPU.

    (Sorry Apple I forget to mention you above.)

  6. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by undone View Post
    It's hard to determine how would ARM perform on longer battery-life or even non-battery platform. According to my view on Cortex-A15, and somebody hinted at B3D, that the approach of fully-functional A15 is very closed to AMD K10. OTOH, we need a fair method to test the CPU between ARM and x86, but IMO it's hard to do it now.

    In cellphone, any benchmark is pointless yet, not to mention tablet version. But, I expect Qualcomm and Samsung would bring some surprise to us, Nvidia would do well in its GPU.

    (Sorry Apple I forget to mention you above.)
    Yea i did a thread over there 'Cortex A15 V Bulldozer'..with with reference to Aruns article, he did say there some similarities between K10 and A15.

    One area that seems to be the biggest mountain to climb for ARM processors is memory subsystems...even Medfield gets the highest Sunspider scores (although as some mentioned, x86 may be better optimised, and mobile benchmarking isn't great) but on pure cpu horsepower, Krait and A15 will destroy a X86 <4w?

    The advantage AMD and Nvidia have with there GPU's, is two fold, better technology up past 5w..and MUCH better drivers....for tablets it may well be the windows drivers that settle it.

  7. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by french toast View Post
    Battery life?? performance for that batterylife?? A Snapdragon S4 PRO would destroy HONDO.... depending on drivers probably edge it in graphics also..
    I know why ARM is good for tablets, but why is Windows good for ARM?


    If I'm going to buy an ARM-based tablet, why wouldn't I buy an Ipad?

    If I want a more open system or a bargain tab, then I buy Android.

    If I want _____, I buy a Windows tablet


    solve for ______

  8. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    825
    Ha you and your riddles

    Answer; BOTH

  9. #139
    i just hope that amd is taking their sweet ass time because they're getting it super right, and getting it way down in wattage. but still, brazos was a great product, and i'm pretty sure amd has done great with it in shitty laptops, netbooks, embedded, and emerging markets.

  10. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    i just hope that amd is taking their sweet ass time because they're getting it super right, and getting it way down in wattage. but still, brazos was a great product, and i'm pretty sure amd has done great with it in shitty laptops, netbooks, embedded, and emerging markets.
    You don't work in marketing, do you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux