Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will 28nm rain on Nvidia's financial parade?

Quote Originally Posted by seinfeldx View Post
    If i'm not mistaken 7800 are still better at DP than 680, i remember a graph with price and DP but can't remember the site to quote.
    There's a recent thread in GPU, but the title refers to "7970" instead of "7870". It covers what you refer to, and links the source.

I had no idea that they were paying TSMC per good die, what about ATI/AMD during the same period?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexko View Post
    No Tesla part, sure, but why wouldn't they make a GK104-based Quadro?
    They could, but why waste the effort to do a <1 generation part? GK110 is very different from GK104.

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    I had no idea that they were paying TSMC per good die, what about ATI/AMD during the same period?
    Don't know for sure, but I will ask next time I am in Austin, and that would be soon.....

-Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    They could, but why waste the effort to do a <1 generation part? GK110 is very different from GK104.

-Charlie
    It's also months away from launch. Why not make some money in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexko View Post
    It's also months away from launch. Why not make some money in the meantime?
    Wouldn't Fermi outperform a card like that in most circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Guillotine View Post
    Wouldn't Fermi outperform a card like that in most circumstances?
    In compute, possibly, but certainly not in OpenGL rendering/CAD, which is what Quadros are primarily used for. You know, stuff like CATIA, 3DS Max, Maya, LightWave 3D, SolidWorks, etc.

There's no reason for GK104 not to do very well in those applications.

Actually, they may do terribly in Open GL with the new architecture.

NVIDIA has relied on drivers very heavily for their professional cards, mainly cause the have non standard HW implementations of a lot of Open CL stuff.

The best example I can give is at work we recently moved to Win7 (64 bit) over XP (32 bit). With the change in drivers there was a nice bump in performance in CATIA (one thing they heavily optimize for), and the desktop became unresponsive.

You have to turn off the Aero interface otherwise the computer freezes up and stutters.

Also, and of the in house SW that uses a standard (and old) Open GL render pipe basically is a slide show now.

It's funny when I have time to think how much flak AMD took for their 2D performance... it's depressing that I have the time to do so while waiting for a 2D vector image to render.

So until they understand their new Arch well enough to write the Open GL workarounds into the drivers I don't think they have much motivation to update their Quattro line (which is still at the top of the benchmarks anyway).

8-bit overflow
    Tsmc posted their Q3 profits.

I wonder if Nvidias new pricing structure is connected to the result?

Article

Quote Originally Posted by TechSpot
    Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. posted a record third quarter profit earlier today. The world?s largest contract chip maker earned a net profit of 49.3 billion New Taiwan dollars ($1.69 billion USD), good for a 62 percent jump from a year ago and topping estimates from nearly two dozen analysts.
    Didn't think a process(28nm) with such small part of the total waferstarts would affect their result in such a big way.

Also, they state they start risk production of 16nm wafers next year. Are they skipping 20nm altogether or is 20nm to be a short lived process? The roadmaps I've seen includes 20nm in H2 2013, and I haven't seen any changes. (Or is 16nm to 20nm that 40nm was to 45nm?)
    Remember-I'm Norwegian.
    Ever heard a Norwegian speak *good* English?

The answer to the question "Will 28nm rain on Nvidia's financial parade?"

was a resounding NO.

Since this thread started last April Nvidia has posted two very strong quarters.

CFO Commentary for

2013Q1 (ending 2012-04-30): http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...F8VHlwZT0z&t=1

2013Q2 (ending 2012-07-31): http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...F8VHlwZT0z&t=1