Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the Ultrathins?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dontlisten View Post
    I've used a Sony VAIO Z for years: 13.1" with 1920x1080 is perfectly visible even without font scaling. So, why doesn't HP offer at least a 1600x900 upgrade for their new 14.5" and 15.6" Sleekbooks?

On the plus side: The machine looks nice and I have no reason to be disappointed with Trinity's rumored performance. Sounds like a winner beside the screen. Such a shame.
    Other than the Sony Z part, hear hear brother.

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/12/27/m...t-caught-fire/

-Charlie

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdoubleb View Post
    OK, this whining about screen resolution has to stop now, really. You all do realize this is a 600 USD notebook, right?! Are you seriously expecting 1080p?
    You are wrong, the difference is between a functional machine and a non-functional machine. 1366 = non-functional over a 10" screen. No, 1366 = non-functional for PC tasks period.

-Charlie

640k who needs more?
    Macbook Air: Older samsung display with newer TN from LG-Philips...

Time to take a look at the colour space that the screen can reproduce; this was not a particularly strong point for the previous model, which was only average in this regard. Our comparison of the colour spaces shows that the current LG panel is almost exactly on a par with the Samsung predecessor. As before, sRGB is largely unattained; the displays on the Pro series of MacBooks are still significantly ahead.
    Macbook Pro 13: TN panel

Macbook Pro 15: TN Panel, also note the quote...

In terms of viewing angles, the TN display doesn't distinguish itself much from the overwhelming majority of laptop screens. Looking at the screen from an angle to the left or the right?aside from possible reflections?the picture remains undistorted even at sharper angles. On the other hand, when tilting the screen back and forth away from the ideal straight-forward viewing angle, the picture starts to become distorted at relatively small angles.
    Compared to a premium-grade screen, like in the Dell XPS 16 RGB, the MacBook Pro, however, does not even come close to covering the same color space.
    So if you want a decent screen above 1280x800, your only option is a 15.6" with a starting price of 1800 bucks, basically 2 grand for a 1680x1050. Even then it's still not an IPS display.

Don't get me wrong, I know people love their colour space and pixels, but throwing apple into the mix as if it were a god among insects seems rather silly.

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    If you can buy two Yugos for the rpice of one Ford, but the Yugo occasionally catches fire and kills all it's passengers, can you really blame them for putting cheaper components in?

-Charlie
    What if you buy a ford for the price of 2 yugos and the ford catchs fire?

Apple Issues Voluntary MacBook Pro Battery Recall

Sorry, had to.

>intel 4004
    When LCD makers scratch their heads over the issues of "brightness when viewed in extreme sunlight/darkness", "LCD backlight technology" and "bright colors", they forgot the most important thing on their checklist: "pixel density". They can blame no one does pixel scaling on desktop applications all they wanted, but application developers will need actual hardware to make the push for automatic pixel scaling.

Tablets won't actually provide that push.
    And no, still not any of the 14" notebooks that goes over 1600x900 resolution with anti-glare screens.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post

Sorry, had to.
    Darn, you beat me to it. Anyhow, if one of the Yugos would catch fire and the Ford would catch fire, you still would have a Yugos to continue, while with the Ford, you would be rather busy convincing that A. the fire wasn't caused by igniting it yourself and B. that the Ford, by legislation, still falls under warranty, much unlike the site of Ford would try to convince you would be the case.

Ohh, and The Yugos Sleekbook comes without "highly inflammable JHH technology?"
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post

Sorry, had to.
    I opened my eyes a long time ago, I'm not deceived by the good press about the quality of Apple, Sony and some other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahakon View Post
    Darn, you beat me to it
    haha, we think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    You are wrong, the difference is between a functional machine and a non-functional machine. 1366 = non-functional over a 10" screen. No, 1366 = non-functional for PC tasks period.

-Charlie
    1987: _640 x 480, VGA
    1990: 1024 x 768, XGA
    2012: 1368 x 768, WXGA

22 years of hopelessly frustrating stagnation. I had a Ipad in my hands
    yesterday with a 2048 x 1536 resolution.. OMG how long do we still have
    to be fed up with this notebook display trash?

Worst thing is that the even though the manufacturing cost of the panels
    is almost independent of the resolution (it's all very low resolution as far
    as the lithography equipment is concerned) they are just continuing to sell
    this junk.

Hans.

As long as they have a decent downscale, sure, great.

Because many panels blur image whenever downscaled, and I'm sure most of those laptops aren't able to play a lot of games at 1920x1080 or similar, it would be kinda bad to be forced to have blurry image to play games.

Else I agree, 1366x768 is awful for getting any work done, no space for anything, especially when doing programming or graphics stuff and you need to get rid of the menus just to be able to glance at the code \ images \ video.
    Besides having crappy resolutions, panels' quality is also bad, not only for bad viewing angle but also for colour correction. Macs may have TN panels, but at least they're decent TN panels, and I'm sure there are some laptops around (expensive ones mostly) with great panels, though most vendors seem to care less about that part.

And still, you guys in the USA are lucky with that market, since most laptops are released there. Portuguese market is very limited (and forget about configuring laptops, only pre-configured ones unless you import), and I myself have been importing my last laptops from Germany, where choice is broader, even though I have to put up with german keyboards (# and size of keys are equal).

It's sad to see 10'' tablets with bigger resolution than my 23'' screen, although I can't complain about its quality (6-bit matrix, but IPS, nice colours, contrast and black levels).