Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Where are the Ultrathins?

Thanks for the info. I feared that might be the case. But I just don't see the point in 'switchable graphics' with an APU ? It's a totally inelegant solution in my eyes.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
    It's a totally inelegant solution in my eyes.
    It's rather elegant in this case because Trinity can gate off unused parts.

If the discrete graphics was a less efficient process like 40nm, it would be inelegant for real. You would have old 40 nm chip replace the shiny 32 nm part.

And if the APU could NOT gate off unused parts, I would agree with you.

Sure, it works from a power saving perspective no doubt. But to use an analogy, it's a bit like buying a speedboat with one 30hp outboard and one 60hp, and then using either one or the other, but not both. A more elegant solution would be to buy a boat with two 30hp outboards and simply combine them ?

Which, if I've understood it correctly, is pretty much the whole point of 'dual graphics' in the first place ? To 'throw away' the APUs major USP (as I see it) just seems a bit of a waste to me ? That's what I meant by inelegant, I wasn't refering to it's power saving potential.

Sure, it works from a power saving perspective no doubt. But to use an analogy, it's a bit like buying a speedboat with one 30hp outboard and one 60hp, and then using either one or the other, but not both. A more elegant solution would be to buy a boat with two 30hp outboards and simply combine them ?

Which, if I've understood it correctly, is pretty much the whole point of 'dual graphics' in the first place ? To 'throw away' the APUs major USP (as I see it) just seems a bit of a waste to me ? That's what I meant by inelegant, I wasn't refering to it's power saving potential.
    So would you say a Core I-somethingmeaningless+nVidia or AMD GPU is inelegant as well?

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's exactly the same as with Intel's current solution, although with Intel it's the only option, the reason why we don't see 77xx in hybrid crossfire with an APU's graphics is from what I've understood, making the two architectures work together properly isn't exactly the easiest task.

Something I would like to see on these laptops is, with only the dedicated card working, will we see a significant rise in CPU performance during games?(I know it won't have much an impact though)
    Desktop R7 1800X@4.1GHz, MSI X370 Xpower gaming titanium(Bios 1.74), 2x8GB Corsair Vengance LED(Red) DDR4 3200MHz@2933MHz , 2xSamsung 830 256GB & Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Sapphire Fury X 1050MHz / 500MHz, Corsair AX1200i.
    Laptop: Lenovo Y700 AMD FX-8800p, R9 M385X, 2x8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.

It will be very elegant when (if) HSA takes off. Use IGP for latency-bound compute, discrete for graphics. If using only one, powergate the other.

8-bit overflow
    I understand what you mean, but in this case, the graphics portion of Trinity is 32 nm and replaced by a better 28 nm discrete chip.
    You could argue that it's best to have both active, but some would prefer the more energy efficient 28 nm chip to be active.

Quote Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
    So would you say a Core I-somethingmeaningless+nVidia or AMD GPU is inelegant as well?
    Compared to the potential offered by an APU with working 'dual graphics' ? Yes.

Dual graphics should be a lot more interesting with Kaveri. That one should get relatively close to the Radeon HD 7750(m) in GPU performance, so if AMD can get dual graphics to work with an 8770(m) it should actually really shine for the first time.
    I got a bad feeling it will only work with an 8670(m), though.