Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Truth to AMD trying to acquire MIPS?

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    NVIDIA didn't need MIPS if they have their own ARM cores.
    Qualcomm is in the same case.
    Maybe they are not happy with 64bit ARM. Qualcomm has Krait, but NV till now showed just vanilla cores.

Samsung has everything besides IP.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pmoses View Post
    Maybe they are not happy with 64bit ARM. Qualcomm has Krait, but NV till now showed just vanilla cores.

Samsung has everything besides IP.
    Those companies which are as big as Samsung, Qualcomm, and even Apple, doesn't want dependent IPs if they're not that interested in pure chip desigining work. They'd want to sell a platform rather than chip itself.
    ARM is a little provider when compared to them, but none of them would acquire ARM. That's the same as MIPS.

IF AMD acquire MIPS, it would 100% turn its business to IP selling, what ARM is doing right now. I think it's not impossible to happen.

So, @Charlie. What's yer take on this, arr?

Being the news reported from BSN I take this with a galleon of salt and pepper unless I see second source. Arr.
    Andy "Krazy" Glew <3 I also like soup.

Well if you talk it up enough the stock bumps and then you can short it when the rumors turn out to be bunk.

Next, why would AMD want them? Think that through for more than just a couple of seconds. Not saying MIPS isn't on the market, that is likely solid.
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Well if you talk it up enough the stock bumps and then you can short it when the rumors turn out to be bunk.
    I'm getting an image of bad men in expensive suits knocking on the door.

Next, why would AMD want them? Think that through for more than just a couple of seconds.
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/forums/s...MIPS#post95119

Copper: I think about it for more than year. I am not sure, if it make sense for them to license IP. I know nothing about future AMD strategy and nothing about HSA.
    Maybe it would be good for them to buy just to make good graphic cards (think about graphic HSA Tilera). Tiny cores are good for networking too.
    If you just license core or IP, you can't do what you want. And you want it now

From eetimes:
    “AMD’s been there and done that,” said analyst Nathan Brookwood from Insight 64, noting that the firm had acquired Alchemy (a MIPS licensee) back in 2002 and sold it to Raza in 2006. At best, said Brookwood, buying MIPS would represent nothing but a minor “distraction” for Intel’s smaller chip rival.
    http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-b...--say-analysts

MIPS license its technology to make loongson, so, maybe they want to side with the Chinese?