Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX 690 - Launch May 3rd 2012

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by realjjj View Post
    pricing is 999$
    here's a link with some Nvidia provided benchmarks and some more details about the card http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...ote/#sf4056680
    wonder how many crazy kids will want it just for the aluminium body.
    I wonder if they will make enough to pay for the tooling on that aluminum body. My guess is no.

-Charlie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    Because it's just an announcement for an enthusiast product that only 0.05% of the world population (or <1% of the PC market, or <5% of the DIY market) care about?
    And i suppose you and i come here for integrated graphics news coz' that's the bread and butter of most companies right ?
    Better yet, just to prove my point, what do you think makes good news headlines, integrated graphics or top of the line bad ass graphic cards that gamers use to browse the internet with and mainly brag about... but thats beside the point.

8-bit overflow
    this site is not an usual "rehash what others sites said" kind... if SA doesn't have anything to add, it won't post at all just because anand or kyle posted it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I wonder if they will make enough to pay for the tooling on that aluminum body. My guess is no.

-Charlie
    Do you really think that at this point in time the thing that nvidia cares is whether they make enough cards in order to turn enough profit so it ballances out in the long run for the "tooling" on the Al body ? Give me a break Charlie. All nVidia cares is that they utterly destroy AMD with a product that performs, is in 300 TDP envelope, and at least they launched it sooner, even if it is just on paper. And believe it or not they will capitalize on it. I have yet to see AMD even hint of a clear launch date let alone hard specs... but expect leaks soon although I doubt they will steal any thunder.

Banned
    where is the 7990 ?

Quote Originally Posted by __shared__ View Post
    where is the 7990 ?
    They delayed it, so to speak. Just waiting to see the 690 specs. That's my bet anyway.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by SayonaRRa View Post
    And i suppose you and i come here for integrated graphics news coz' that's the bread and butter of most companies right ?
    Better yet, just to prove my point, what do you think makes good news headlines, integrated graphics or top of the line bad ass graphic cards that gamers use to browse the internet with and mainly brag about... but thats beside the point.
    We come here for unique viewpoints and something interesting instead of a piece of announcement being literally re-tweeted without even any modifications.

300 W TDP to beat the competition isn't interesting enough to me, is that fine to you? A good headline? Try "<insert product name here> launches with <technology>. A big step forward but it's still not enough. "

Quote Originally Posted by __shared__ View Post
    where is the 7990 ?
    I read June for the 7990.

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Nah, they likely have to do that to keep power under the 300W max, basically it is a bin for 150W chips. Given the 915MHz and 150W numbers, I would expect these parts to be slightly harder to bin than normal ones, but not much. That said, they can't make 680s, so......

-Charlie
    Although I don't know much about binning, wouldn't the interesting part to know be if the 680 and 690 GPU's come from "the same bin"?

If not, it may actually be a good idea to launch the 690. Even if they are harder to bin than the 680 GPU's, an asking price of $900+ for the card could mean that the percieved availability of a 690 card is better than for the 680 anyway (edit: ...and Nv sure seem to need to take any possibility to up the total yields of the GK104).

If they are from the same bin though... well... this is still Nv we are talking about

Related question: Now as the 690 spec seem to be out there, how long till we get the 7990 spec?

Kyle at [H] is speculating the price of the 690 will be $899, despite official Nv info says $100 more. Partly because the clocks are lowered compared to 680, partly to hinted at info. Could that mean that AMD is targeting $899 for the 7990 when it launches?

I wonder how AMD will approach the 7990 in terms of build quality. It appears that Nvidia has went all out in terms of making the card as solid as can be made. The last thing you would want is complaints about the card. At $1000, everyone will be watching and reading which will indirectly influence the sales of their less expensive cars. IMO, its a good strategy on Nvidia's part.

AMD can make a 7990 faster if they want, depending on the level of binning and clocking. It's gonna be hotter and more power hungry though. A big criticism about the 6990 was the noise, albeit exaggerated criticism at times. The complaint still needs to be addressed. There's also complaints about the drivers. I don't care myself, my mainstream system is absolutely flawless. However, the drivers for the 7990 need to solid if you want to use such a card to improve company image. AMD needs to do this especially as many sites target AMD drivers even when IMO ignore Nvidia driver problems like the fact that multi monitor is a nightmare with Nvidia products as well as the never ending TDR problem.

Essentially, the 690 going to get fantastic reviews. I have no doubt of that. I believe AMD should take a similar approach if they want to attain a similar image.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!