Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radeon 76xx and lower refresh?

Radeon 76xx and lower refresh?

I've been wondering whats the plan for lower end Radeon parts.

The reason why i've been wondering this is Trinity is apparently going to feature VLIW4 GFX architecture. So either:
    1 AMD has a crossfirex tech that lets different GPU architectures link together
    2 AMD is not going to offer hybrid crossfireX solutions with Trinity (which i find doubful)
    3 AMD is going to be launching lower end GPUs featuring VLIW4

any news on this?

8-bit overflow
    the crossfire should be easy. Only reason they didn't do it with different architectures was because it was pointless and also different gpus scale badly anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by esrever View Post
    the crossfire should be easy. Only reason they didn't do it with different architectures was because it was pointless and also different gpus scale badly anyways.
    right, so have poor scaling would apply here then right? which would beg the question if the additional cost of a GPU would be worth it. Or AMD has improved the tech behind it.

We have know for many months now that the solution is Option 1. Crossfire was re-architected long ago, and one of the things introduced was cross-architecture Crossfire. VLIW4 and VLIW5 have no problems getting along and judging by the leaked benches for Trinity laptops, the 7660G+7670M combo scales remarkably well.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by MayA View Post
    right, so have poor scaling would apply here then right? which would beg the question if the additional cost of a GPU would be worth it. Or AMD has improved the tech behind it.
    Trinity will obviously crossfire with the re-branded 7600(6600) series since it's is supposed to use a Turks based gpu.

The reason why i've been wondering this is Trinity is apparently going to feature VLIW4 GFX architecture. So either:
    2 AMD is not going to offer hybrid crossfireX solutions with Trinity (which i find doubful)

any news on this?
    According to Dave Baumann, 1 is perfectly possible. This is also consistent with leaked slides showing Crossfire between Trinity and Turks.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by sollord View Post
    Trinity will obviously crossfire with the re-branded 7600(6600) series since it's is supposed to use a Turks based gpu.
    it will not be a turk based gpu. it will be a cayman based one.

1- Yes.
    2 & 3 - No.
    The problem is that both parts must perform similarly, that's why they are using 40nm gpus instead of 28nm gpus downclocked. Probably availability is another reason.

>intel 4004

any news on this?
    1. End of Answer.

And from now on, there won't be low-end offerings from AMD, as APUs have the capabilties to provide better performance than that.

Administrator

any news on this?
    There is a good reason for 1, but I can't tell you what it is yet.

-Charlie