Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Hands on HD7970M

  1. #1

    Hands on HD7970M

    A Schenker fullHD IVB quad with Wimbledon stretches its legs vs. GTX675M

    http://www.tomshardware.de/Radeon-HD...te-241026.html

    Enjoy!

  2. #2
    640k who needs more?
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by total_crash View Post
    A Schenker fullHD IVB quad with Wimbledon stretches its legs vs. GTX675M

    http://www.tomshardware.de/Radeon-HD...te-241026.html

    Enjoy!
    They have some balls for putting a 6 in front of that number.

    2/3's the performance for less battery life in something enthusiast class, and where power consumption actually counts?

  3. #3
    Gee, what a beating, while consuming less power (7W on idle especially).

    Nice showing, though I expected a bit more power savings at load, since Pitcairn is especially power-efficient.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by total_crash View Post
    A Schenker fullHD IVB quad with Wimbledon stretches its legs vs. GTX675M

    http://www.tomshardware.de/Radeon-HD...te-241026.html

    Enjoy!
    That's quite embarrassing for Nvidia
    Main Rig: Ryzen 7 1700X, Noctua NH-U14S, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200, MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G, Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3, Samsung 840 Pro 250 + Samsung 840 Evo 500 + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), DeadSilent DS Cube Black

    Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

  5. #5
    680M should do a lot better but Pitcairn is pretty much invincible at 100W. Don't forget they are saving a 7990M for later...

    Let's not forget Cape Verde is even better a mobile chip and is surely going to dominate GK107. In fact I think 7870M should be as fast as 670M while using half the power.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    680M should do a lot better but Pitcairn is pretty much invincible at 100W. Don't forget they are saving a 7990M for later...

    Let's not forget Cape Verde is even better a mobile chip and is surely going to dominate GK107. In fact I think 7870M should be as fast as 670M while using half the power.
    The 680M will have worse power \ performance ratios than 7970M, but NVidia usually tries to get the performance crown. Still, because of laptop power limitations I think the GTX680M will be at -5-0% from HD7970M while using a bit more power.

  7. #7
    640k who needs more?
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by srps View Post
    The 680M will have worse power \ performance ratios than 7970M, but NVidia usually tries to get the performance crown. Still, because of laptop power limitations I think the GTX680M will be at -5-0% from HD7970M while using a bit more power.
    Why do you say that?

    http://videocardz.com/33025/nvidia-g...d-and-pictured

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    Well, considering that 7970m is 1280 shaders and 7970 is 2048 shaders, 7970m is keeping a lot more of the chip when going mobile. GTX 680m is losing half.

    We don't know clocks for GTX 680, but 7970m is 820mhz. Is 7970 based off Tahiti or Pitcairn? If it is based off of Pitcairn, it has the same number of shaders and lower clocks. There is no way a downclocked 7870 is going to lose to half of a GTX 680.

    If anything, 37% faster than GTX 670m is bad news. Most of those benchmarks put 7970m about 30-40% faster than GTX 675m.

    It's going to be very interesting how GPU Boost affects battery life or if mobile Keplers don't have it. I think it's going to hurt battery life really bad. It will try and pull 100w no matter what unless you have vsync on or something.

  9. #9
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    483
    Just from the 680m's 3dmark scores I can say the 7970m is probably going to be 20% faster.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    Is 7970 based off Tahiti or Pitcairn? If it is based off of Pitcairn, it has the same number of shaders and lower clocks.
    I believe it's supposed to be like a desktop 7870/Pitcairn, but with lower clocks.
    Main Rig: Ryzen 7 1700X, Noctua NH-U14S, Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200, MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G, Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3, Samsung 840 Pro 250 + Samsung 840 Evo 500 + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), DeadSilent DS Cube Black

    Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux