Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GCN FireStream ... still not available?

GCN FireStream ... still not available?

OK, maybe this one is for Charlie and his moles?

So, what happened? They have the best GPGPU chip to date and still no FireStream product (Cypress is still top offering). Also, wasn't GCN supposed to work with CPUs in unified x86_64 memory space via IOMMU ? Is it a software/driver issue, or what?

So, I investigated this a bit. It seems IOMMU v2.0 is needed, and it's introduced with Piledriver core.
    There is presentation on the second day of AMD Fusion Developer Summit (June 12):
    Session Title: IOMMUv2: The Ins and Outs of the Heterogeneous GPU Use
    Length: 45 minutes
    Session Abstract: Using the GPU in a heterogeneous platform environments requires access to system memory that transcends the use scenarios of traditional IOMMU devices in system software. To that end AMD introduced the IOMMUv2 device in the platform that in addition to IOMMU functionality as used by virtualization SW provides hardware services that can be utilized as HSA MMU (Memory Management Unit) for more efficient but secure memory access in application software. This session provides an overview of the hardware device and its many uses in system software for virtualization and HSA.
    IOMMU v2.0 is also important for virtualization (KVM), and the support has entered Linux kernel version 3.3.x.x (which is relatively recent).

Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    That's a FirePro card not a FireStream one.

Interestingly the AMD FireStream English web pages seem to all respond with 404 at the moment.
    Speaking for myself.

640k who needs more?
    Looks like its based on older tech.

1. Mentions DX11 support, rather than DX11.1.

2. Mentions 8GB/s of bandwidth over its PCI-E 16x 3.0 compliant interface.
    If it had a true PCI-E 3.0 interface this should be 16GB/s bi-directional. Compliant here likely just means it is compatible with PCI-E 3.0 slots

And it also mentions powertune, zerocore power technology and requires single PCI 16x lane 3.0 for optimal performance.
    Past generation doesn't have zerocore and support for pci 3.0. And power tune only available for cayman (>100w chip).

Also:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/167600/AM...hics-Card.html

640k who needs more?
    And it also mentions powertune, zerocore power technology and requires single PCI 16x lane 3.0 for optimal performance.
    Past generation doesn't have zerocore and support for pci 3.0. And power tune only available for cayman (>100w chip).

Also:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/167600/AM...hics-Card.html
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    Strange for the technical data to have the inaccuracies I mentioned though. Using only a fraction of the PCI-E bandwidth could be a power saving measure I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by kalelovil View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    Strange for the technical data to have the inaccuracies I mentioned though. Using only a fraction of the PCI-E bandwidth could be a power saving measure I suppose.
    Well, even on high end GPUs, there is barely a performance difference between 16 lane and 8 lane PEG slots.
    Maybe the GPU on the W600 isn't capable to cope with more than 8GB/s.
    On end user cards, there are no information on used bandwidth, printed on the boxes - just "PCIE 3.0 - new and shiny" kind of marketing.
    For business customers, you probably will have to state the real capabilities of the card / GPU to avoid law suits.

>intel 4004
    Cape Verde GPUs are PCI Express 3.0 compliant.
    PCI Express 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.x/1.x slots, only with performance hit.

>intel 4004
    FirePro W9000: Eyefinity6, 4 TFLOPS, 6 GB GDDR5, Up to 264.8 Million pixels
    FirePro W8000
    FirePro S8000
    FirePro W600: Eyefinity6, 2 GB GDDR5, 4K displays