Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea Islands taped out

Sea Islands taped out

during ADFS AMD announced SI tape out.
    http://www.computerbase.de/news/2012...iert-tape-out/
    They are said to be in stock at the beginning of 2013, so prepare for reviews around Christmas...

Hmm, I thought Sea Islands (according to Charlie) was just a name place holder for the actual architecture code named Canary Islands?

Anyway, I am saving for a new machine and will wait until the new stuff comes out from Intel (Haswell) and AMD (HD 8000s and maybe even Piledriver FX).

8-bit overflow
    This is good if true, but I think the original source is Digitimes, so a pinch of salt is needed.

AMD sure as hell didn't announce it did they? I'll wait for Charlies confirmation before I start to celebrate. I skipped the 69xx and 79xx series, and is looking forward to get the new 89xx series. My 5850 have served me extremely well.

If anyone want to read the same news in English, TechPowerup has the same news.
    Remember-I'm Norwegian.
    Ever heard a Norwegian speak *good* English?

Quote Originally Posted by Dudler View Post
    This is good if true, but I think the original source is Digitimes, so a pinch of salt is needed.

AMD sure as hell didn't announce it did they? I'll wait for Charlies confirmation before I start to celebrate.
    You are right, the post was a quickshot of mine. Seen the news, dropped a few unreflected lines and went to bed. My apologies.

>intel 4004
    Well, technically AMD didn't announce it, or every site will host this news as fast as they can. So DigiTimes interviewed Papermaster, and he confirmed it. But then we don't know the exact week, when the foundation chip taped out...

The news is that AMD has taped out the next generation. The term 'sea islands' comes from earlier reports that that is what they are codenamed.

So it's still not be confirmed that the code name for the next gen is 'sea islands'.

8-bit overflow
    Im really excited for next gen. It seems AMD always do very well on a mature process. W/e its called, Im just hoping AMD launches a 8850 priced at $200.

>intel 4004
    Don't get too excited just yet. Remember Cypress → Cayman? It's only efficiency improvement along with some other checkbox features.

So now AMD also got the "GPUBoost" by changing the BIOS programmable PowerTune, so the GPU can "Boost" when in need. So that's one checkbox gone.

I would picture as AMD knows more about TSMC 28 nm, they would consider building a less bullet-proof chip for even more performance per mm?, compared to the very bullet-proof Tahiti. They would probably continue to raise the efficiency and utilization on the units for both gaming and compute, with slightly more units if the budget for cost per unit allows.

Quote Originally Posted by esrever View Post
    Im really excited for next gen. It seems AMD always do very well on a mature process. W/e its called, Im just hoping AMD launches a 8850 priced at $200.
    Well, like I've said before I'll pretty much eat my hat if the 8800 isn't approx 1792, ~1100/7000 and 1536, ~925/5000. It could be slightly different, but that's what makes sense.

Efficiency and beating gk104 pretty much demands it (since the average CU usage is a little less than 29, gk104 clocks itself at 1050-1100mhz, and at that speed a high ram clock on 256-bit would be required) Depending on the route they go, 8850 could indeed be a nice, cheap card...eventually.

The question I have is how is AMD going to do GPU boost this round?