Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Windows 8 be a bad or a good OS?

Will Windows 8 be a bad or a good OS?

As this is a satire site after all...

win95 - bad
    win98 - good
    winME - bad
    winXP - good
    winVista - bad
    win7 - good
    win8 - ...

Now you know :-)

Some of us used Windows 2000, you know.
    Andy "Krazy" Glew <3 I also like soup.

640k who needs more?
    Vista is/was a fine OS. Trying to run it on a machine just capable of running XP well was the source of a lot of complaints. Does anyone think Windows 7 and Vista are really that dissimilar?

Anyway, my take on the last build I played with is that it will be a fine OS with a UI that not many computer savvy people need or want. My mother may actually be able to use a Windows 8 tablet/PC without phoneing me up

Myself, meh. Windows is only a tax on gaming for me. I'll be going where ever my tax money benefits me most

8-bit overflow
    Windows 8 CP/RP has been out for a while now. And it is a good OS without a doubt.

Unfortunately the Metro UI is going to freak out a lot of 'enthusiasts'. It is really not an issue, however, as you still have the much improved Desktop and you can get along perfectly well with using the Metro UI only as a Start menu replacement (a job it does much better than the archaic start menu, I must add) and stay in the Desktop forever.

I bet if they brought back the Start menu this very vocal minority would snap up Windows 8. Just the Desktop itself is as much an improvement over 7 as 7 was over Vista, which is to say incremental. It is much more about perception.

I am really glad to see all the fake UI elements, i.e. fake glass, fake depth, etc disappear. It was really sad to see Windows trying to emulate OS X's hideous UI, with bizarre stuff like clownish jumping icons and fake wood, yuck! While Windows thankfully didn't go that far, starting Vista they were kinda on that direction. It is a computer, no need to make it look like a toy and shout "Forget the app, look at me, I'm sooo candy!", just give me a clean interface that disappears and lets me do my work. In this area, Metro is hugely advanced, but the improvements to Desktop also make it much more pleasant. Unity has been much derided but I quite like the UI as well for the same reasons - it is not intrusive.

8-bit overflow
    I won't know, because I never gonna use it! Amen.
    I'm not hipster enough to convince myself Metro is usable without touchscreen just because the majority thinks otherwise.

Also about aero, especially in 7. Giant interface elements = tasteless. That's all. Abovementioned OS X looks miles better. Well, at least they had decency to not make "close" button big and red. Aero glass is pretty cheesy, so metro is improvement in some way. But again, Microsoft is years behind. If they had sense of style, they would have noticed that aero is cheesy attempt at looking modern before they made it.
    Excuse my poor english.

I hope Win 8 ends up to be good. It's not that I like Microsoft. Actually, I have the same regard for them as I have for Apple which means I think they're a bunch of inflamed, festering hemorrhoids. Unfortunately, everyone around me will be using that OS meaning they'll be coming to me whenever the crap isn't working properly. I need to use the thing to familiarize myself with it. Sigh.

Using Win 8 RP right now I've got one big complaint. The thing doesn't run properly using an online account. Some programs just won't install or won't work. Live Mail is a good example of that. Again, I use programs like Live Mail for the familiarization. Switching to an offline account doesn't eliminate problems with Win8. Certain functions don't work properly such as UAC preventing a program from moving files from one folder to another. Turning off UAC stops the Metro apps from working.

I've been using Android OS on my phone and Tablet now for over 6 months. I'm amazed at how much more stable it is compared to Windows. I realize that it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison but its still a useful reference. All the phone and tablet OSs seem to be very simple and friendly compared to Windows.

Overall, I think Win8 will be bad unless they do something about these problems described. There's going to be a lot of people complaining about things not working once again.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!

That definitely seems to be an isolated incident, not surprising for beta software.

I first tried a local account, but have since been using with a Microsoft account. Everything works fine, no issues. Turned UAC off long back and Metro apps work just fine.

Haven't had a single crash or stability issue of any kind with Windows since XP, including 7 and 8 betas or previews as they call it nowadays. Some software are pretty buggy, sometimes beta drivers are too, but no issue with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Guild View Post
    That definitely seems to be an isolated incident, not surprising for beta software.

I first tried a local account, but have since been using with a Microsoft account. Everything works fine, no issues. Turned UAC off long back and Metro apps work just fine.

Haven't had a single crash or stability issue of any kind with Windows since XP, including 7 and 8 betas or previews as they call it nowadays. Some software are pretty buggy, sometimes beta drivers are too, but no issue with Windows.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that turning off UAC doesn't turn it off completely. That unfortunately is why my programs couldn't perform a move. I have to turn off UAC in services.msc IIRC. Then all the Metro apps give me the finger.
    When people tell me "You're going to regret that in the morning" I sleep in till noon because I'm a problem solver!

I think it will be great for tablets and phones. as for a non touchscreen computer I don't see a need yet to upgrade past Win7. I just hope they don't try to push you to Win 8 by not letting IE10 or new networking features cross over.

And I would take Win 7 and Areo any day over OS X.

Edit: Vista had a few problems till SP1, and IE was broke for a year or so, then one day it just started working again. But I had to send people to Chrome because IE crashed so much with Vista at the time.