Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kabini / Jaguar-cores with AVX-support

Quote Originally Posted by esrever View Post
    On threaded benchmarks HT in ivybridge/sandybridge should give about 10-30% boost while the module gives 50-95% increase.
    You mean 10-30% over SNB/IVB and 50-95% over Bulldozer. Intel base performance is A LOT higher than AMD, so no huge deal here.

Keep in mind that the CPU part of Trinity is almost the size of the entire SNB dual core chip, GPU included, so again you are still throwing more hardware for less performance.

640k who needs more?
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    And what did you gain in exchange? Die size is a mess, power consumption is also a mess.
    Trinity's power consumption is pretty darn good considering it is on the same problematic 32nm SoI process as Orochi.

I agree that the die size of the Bulldozer architecture isn't great, but on the other hand it results in die size advantages in the uncore due to reduced interconnect size and complexity compared to double the number of K10 based cores.

Quote Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
    Keep in mind that we shouldn't be comparing Bulldozer with SNB but with SNB-E,
    Please keep in mind that this thread is labeled "Kabini / Jaguar-cores with AVX-support" and neither Sandy bridge or ivy bridge nor the efficiency of hyperthreading ... I always enjoy a short OT-discussion, but now it seems to get out of control.

Anyone at HotChips today willing to spill the beans?

EETimes: AMD's Jaguar packs four cores in one for mobile

Highlights:
    1. Jaguar packs four x86 cores into one unit with a large shared L2 cache
    2. more than ten percent higher frequencies than Bobcat (based on simulations)
    3. more than 15 percent more instructions per clock than Bobcat (based on simulations)
    4. The chip sports a re-designed load/store unit and an expanded 128-bit floating point unit.

Awaiting further information :meditate:

also:
    AMD: Internal simulations show Jaguar with 15% IPC improvement, 10% frequency improvement over Bobcat
    Source. Let's wait for power information.
    edit: OH COME ON, pTmd :< ninja'd.
    Andy "Krazy" Glew <3 I also like soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Vithren View Post
    Let's wait for power information.
    edit: OH COME ON, pTmd :< ninja'd.
    TDP should be the same as bobcat.

Quote Originally Posted by pTmd
    Highlights:
    1. Jaguar packs four x86 cores into one unit with a large shared L2 cache
    2. more than ten percent higher frequencies than Bobcat (based on simulations)
    3. more than 15 percent more instructions per clock than Bobcat (based on simulations)
    4. The chip sports a re-designed load/store unit and an expanded 128-bit floating point unit.
    mmm, it looks good on simulations but the last time they were erroneous.

From the eetimes link:
    In a separate keynote talk, AMD will announce a follow-on for its HyperTransport processor interconnect. Freedom Fabric aims to link thousands of cores at more than a terabit/second, likely based on technology acquired from SeaMicro.

AMD is expected to try to make Freedom Fabric an industry standard across x86, graphics and ARM cores
    Interesting.

8-bit overflow
    I don't know how they would manage 2x the cores, 10X clock and 15% ipc and still have it low power but it looks amazing.

8-bit overflow
    I don't know how they would manage 2x the cores, 10X clock and 15% ipc and still have it low power but it looks amazing.
    The die size is that of a single core.

So basically its a smaller core with a higher estimated ipc and higher clockspeed.

Yes, it sure does look amazing. The critical part is going to be whether the actual hardware matches the simulations. About a year from now, I guess...