Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: AMD is imploding because management doesn't understand semiconductors

Quote Originally Posted by mistercteam View Post
    that what i am thinking all of this is bit coincedence with the lately rumor of related to MS and Sony "Custom APU".
    Don't get me wrong, it's easier to just use Occam's Razor: AMD delayed SR for problems in design/manufacturability. Or outrightly trashed it.

OFC, any specific custom chip designed by AMD for one of it's customers should be used solely by THAT customer, this exclusivity shouldn't reflect in the rest of AMD's IP, precisely because if that customer wanted exclusivity on ALL uses on that IP AMD would charge an obscene amount of money. Any other company would do exactly the same or maybe not even start to discuss that proposition.

640k who needs more?
    AMD might get lucky and have a couple of quarters, where they lose less than hundreds of millions, in the next year or two. I certainly hope so. In hindsight, one has to ask one self, WTF were they thinking? They had (know how) people that they could have put in charge of putting Llano and a future SoC together, people coming from ATI's mobile devision. That's is just one things, that to day look like some kind of ignorance and arrogance. One can alvays hope that the new managment is better at their job inside the company, then some of them are at making public appearances.

640k who needs more?
    Whatever happens, I think it's crystal clear that we can hold many of the shorting investors responsible. The viruses have taken over 90% of the community, and have completely sabatoged AMD's online investor boards. Shorts have driven AMD to a market cap of 1.5B which puts them in a difficult position, and infected investment boards and forums with negative sentiment. Negative sentiment affects consumers (look at negative campaign ads in elections for an example).

Frankly i'm not sure how they get away with it. Enthusiasts should step up to the plate. They are the ones that understand how good competition is for the market, and how bad an outright monopoly is. I doubt very much that any self respecting enthusiast would say that AMD's products, and what AMD does for the industry, aren't good enough to support.

Isn't viral marketing terrific!?

I was thinking that perhaps kaveri was delayed due to HSA changes now that the foundation has more players, but steamroller?
    It's sad, but the changes to the roadmap smell of bad management instead of process problems or HSA changes. :C

Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    I was thinking that perhaps kaveri was delayed due to HSA changes now that the foundation has more players, but steamroller?
    It's sad, but the changes to the roadmap smell of bad management instead of process problems or HSA changes. :C
    What about capacity? May be with both Sony and MS demanding huge numbers of chips that can only be manufactured at GloFo the fab can't have enough 28nm starts for larger AMD consumer chips (Kaveri and Viperfish), so they delay those and focus on the sub 100 mm2 Kabini, which can be produced in decent quantities besides the custom chips for Sony and MS.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    Project Win anyone?

-Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by the_mask View Post
    What about capacity? May be with both Sony and MS demanding huge numbers of chips that can only be manufactured at GloFo the fab can't have enough 28nm starts for larger AMD consumer chips (Kaveri and Viperfish), so they delay those and focus on the sub 100 mm2 Kabini, which can be produced in decent quantities besides the custom chips for Sony and MS.
    No. Capacity can't be an issue when Malta's Fab is already on-line. Even if they needed to ramp it would be amazingly embarrassing if GF couldn't ramp 28nm during the entire 2013 year.

GF's capacity isn't an excuse. Not anymore.

Why did AMD release all that bdver3 stuff for GCC and then cancel Steamroller? Does PD 2.0 have all the things described in the bdver3 contribution?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIwNDY

Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    Why did AMD release all that bdver3 stuff for GCC and then cancel Steamroller? Does PD 2.0 have all the things described in the bdver3 contribution?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIwNDY
    Or could even though we dont now when will Steamroller will be released, it is probably indication that as one example Charlie Stated about arm core hard fused on trinity for development purposes (real trinity dont have), maybe some custom APU already using it (the Steamroller tech) on devkit , or maybe Steamroller for custom APU (high probability in MS xbox next) already existed.

There's no indication anywhere that Steamroller is canceled. At worst it has been pushed back to 2014. Maybe SR needs 20nm to perform well? I don't know.