Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel goes cucko-cucko-cucko: it ends the GPU.

Intel goes cucko-cucko-cucko: it ends the GPU.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/12/17/i...discrete-gpus/

I would say that even more casual gamers enjoy some fun. With their poor drivers and no-no to competition, that is suicidal for their business.

Are they so low on profits, or they expect to run low on profits soon, that they cannot even let people have some freedom to buy from the competition.

I know gamers are a small market and all but isn't that pushing gamers into the open arms of AMD? Is that their intention? Are they deliberately doing this to keep AMD alive and anti-competitive laws away?

8-bit overflow
    1. Unless one spends $50 to read the article, who the hell knows what that teaser means?

2. Way things are going AMD is going to own the mid to high level gaming space in a few years anyways.

My guess

I guess intel will limit the PCIe lanes to up to x4 per port in their chipsets. So GPU will not have enough bandwidth to function properly.

8-bit overflow
    Teaser headline and intro not to be taken literally.

Obviously Intel isn't going to ditch access to outside GPU's in it's socket CPU lines.

This likely involves Intel's SOC strategy.

Everyone knows that most games are GPU limited, so even with a so-so CPU the GPU will have a greater impact on the overall gaming experience. So until AMD is officially dead, so long as they support discrete GPUs then their mediocre CPU offering will suddenly be the platform choice for the hardcore gamer.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by psoomah View Post
    2. Way things are going AMD is going to own the mid to high level gaming space in a few years anyways.
    If it exists......

-Charlie

This will kill mid and high.. *cough* If it's true, it just happened, mid to high will be consoles and PC:s will be at about the same level.

No game is using current high-end PC:s to maximum, nor ever will if hardware is going forward at this phase.
    Games will continue improving. Developers will finally have time to catch up with hardware and content quality (finally) start to improve.
    "One solution that seems to have been reasonably effective in the past is that of public ridicule." - Alex Smith (2014, Nethack 4 about game balancing)
    "VR has been the future of gaming for the last 25 years, and will continue to be for another 25 years..." - NTMBK (2016)

I doubt that we're going to see much more progress towards realism in games. The biggest issue isn't the processing power any more. It's the ability to provide the "assets" that go into creating these worlds. Already the budgets are absolutely enormous for a AAA title, and I can't see studios doubling or tripling that amount to model more and more realistic environments, animations, characters, etc.

Either some of these assets (such as textures, terrain, buildings, etc) will have to start being generated procedurally (for example, lighting is typically modelled dynamically) or we will likely face a rapidly approaching limit on what studios are willing to spend.

This is another reason why I think the gaming community will reconverge towards a (mostly) common x86 platform. There's no way a studio will blow $100 million on a blockbuster for the XBox-720 (or whatever it'll be called) and leave all other platforms untapped. Can you imagine Hollywood making blockbusters that could only be seen in 30% of all theaters!? Either the game will be accessible to the whole market or they won't bother with risking that kind of cash. Forget about even costlier projects.

John Swanson

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    If it exists......

-Charlie
    ... ... *sob* ... ... (stumbles blurry eyed from the forum)