Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Apple is a grown up now! It will fight Intel soon.

It's 3 core!

Yeah, that's it. No theoretical FLOPS (30% more than A10 I guess), no clocks (not that we ever get them), no architecture, no nothing. A big black box.

Then there is the dual core AI unit, with 0.6 TOPS. I'm guessing it's pretty much a Tensor accelerator, either int8, fp8 or fp16.
    FP16... could be the same architecture as the GPU ... indeed it could take over 2 of the GPU cores (leaving one for the system) for the brief moments AI has to run. But that's unlikely knowing Apple. But if true, then I'd surmise the GPU has 900 FP16 GFLOPS (450 FP32 GFLOPS). It should easily outdo the Switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    From one side Apple deserves this. But from other - does it make any sense for them?
    ARM based Macs / Ipad expanding in performance. Yes it makes perfect sense.

Single core Geekbench, A11 bests the 13" MacBook Pro.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/...eged-benchmark

-dan

It does seem likely that Apple will transition its notebook computers towards in-house ARM chips. The real question is how long before they creep into the desktop space.

I imagine the lower-end iMacs will eventually go this route. Hard to see stuff like the Mac Pro (if they still bother with it) and the iMac Pro making the transition any time soon.

Depends on whether or not apple is chasing convergence. That seems right up their alley selling $200 proprietary docks allowing better i/o with iDevices.

I wouldn't rule out an A12/A13/A14 powering an ARM Mac Pro. SoC built from the ground up to support a handful of Mac apps that "just work."

Quote Originally Posted by rarson View Post
    It does seem likely that Apple will transition its notebook computers towards in-house ARM chips. The real question is how long before they creep into the desktop space.

I imagine the lower-end iMacs will eventually go this route. Hard to see stuff like the Mac Pro (if they still bother with it) and the iMac Pro making the transition any time soon.
    They could always buy in server ARM SoCs from e.g. Qualcomm to power the Mac Pro/iMac Pro, and use their in house designs for everything else.

Apple would make it a seamless transition, I think.

The App Store does give them a lot of control, if they move the target compilation stage there. They do this for iOS, and have done for a few years IIRC.

The only question is if they'll wait to transition all the platforms at the same time (as well PPC->x86) or migrate gradually, laptop first say.

I think 2020 is a sane timescale to start hearing solid rumours.

Perhaps in 10 years.

Is that when Intel's 10nm is finally ready?

No, only a possible time for applications ready for the ARM architecture, more chips than one per generation, chips with more performance and higher clocks and more cores, etc, etc, etc.