Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The point of Richland

Quote Originally Posted by Spartak View Post
    But they won't necessarily make it public. They still make minor changes, like a controller sourced from other manufacturer, which could prevent full compatibility
    Possibly, but unlikely. If you're talking memory controller it's inside the APU anyway. Nothing to do with the motherboard. That's just tracks.
    To find the right answers you must ask the right questions.

But they won't necessarily make it public. They still make minor changes, like a controller sourced from other manufacturer, which could prevent full compatibility
    So there will never be BIOS updates released to the public after Trinity? Think about what you are saying.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    So there will never be BIOS updates released to the public after Trinity? Think about what you are saying.
    of course there will be, but for the new models, not with the Trinity.
    In contrast to desktop mobos, where upgradability is significant competition advantage, or better said the lack thereof is signifacant disadvantage, upgrading a laptop is not very common. So why shoukld OEMs waste their resources to enable an upgrade for a diminishing amount of people? They want you to purchase a new notebook if you need a better one, not upgrade which brings them no money
    IMHO
    Core i7-4770k with Thermalright True Spirit 140, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 Mobo, 4x4 GB TeamGroup DDR3-2133, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256 GB in RAID 0, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 HDD, Corsair RM750x PSU, LG BH10LS30 BD-RE, Ultron Cardreader, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, LG 23MP68VQ FullHD monitor

of course there will be, but for the new models, not with the Trinity.
    We'll have to wait and see I guess. My bet is the motherboards used in both will be identical both physically and electronically. So getting hold of a bios update will be a simple matter of getting hold of one for a 'new' model and applying it to an 'old' one.

Btw- There are bios tools that will happily ignore any of that pesky OEM warning stuff about 'Bios not for this model' etc. So they can't really prevent people from doing it.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
    We'll have to wait and see I guess. My bet is the motherboards used in both will be identical both physically and electronically. So getting hold of a bios update will be a simple matter of getting hold of one for a 'new' model and applying it to an 'old' one.

Btw- There are bios tools that will happily ignore any of that pesky OEM warning stuff about 'Bios not for this model' etc. So they can't really prevent people from doing it.
    I believe this is the only chance, but a minor change like replacment of a network controller could ruin compatibilty, from making that particular component non functional to the whole laptop unusable.
    IMHO
    Core i7-4770k with Thermalright True Spirit 140, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4 Mobo, 4x4 GB TeamGroup DDR3-2133, Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256 GB in RAID 0, WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 HDD, Corsair RM750x PSU, LG BH10LS30 BD-RE, Ultron Cardreader, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, LG 23MP68VQ FullHD monitor

I believe this is the only chance, but a minor change like replacment of a network controller could ruin compatibilty, from making that particular component non functional to the whole laptop unusable.
    But why would an OEM change that for a model currently being sold?

"This CPU can drop in with a BIOS update. Let's change X,Y, and Z to drive up costs on these AMD models we don't sell a lot of."

It just doesn't make sense for models currently out there. If you have a discontinued Trinity model, you are most likely screwed.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    But why would an OEM change that for a model currently being sold?

"This CPU can drop in with a BIOS update. Let's change X,Y, and Z to drive up costs on these AMD models we don't sell a lot of."

It just doesn't make sense for models currently out there. If you have a discontinued Trinity model, you are most likely screwed.
    I never said they will do it. Likely not.
    But it still possible for reason like cheaper controller or in opposite better controller. or even both
    IMHO

8-bit overflow
    http://wccftech.com/amd-apu-performa...i-apus-leaked/

ITS OBR so take it with a metric ton of salt

Quote Originally Posted by MeldarthX View Post
    http://wccftech.com/amd-apu-performa...i-apus-leaked/

ITS OBR so take it with a metric ton of salt
    Salt duly ingested. But interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

Just wish they'd specify what memory was used. As it's a pretty meaningless comparison without.

8-bit overflow
    I'm thinking 1866 as that's official but we don't know hehe.