Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 100

Thread: AMD and Nvidia supposedly delay their "next generation" cards?

  1. #51
    No next generation release this year:


  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,446
    Quote Originally Posted by MTd2 View Post
    No next generation release this year:

    This does not say they will not ahve one this year. it says they never said they WOULD have one this year!

    so it is possible to have one this year.

  3. #53
    Administrator Copper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,419
    Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    This does not say they will not ahve one this year. it says they never said they WOULD have one this year!

    so it is possible to have one this year.
    Thank you for actually reading and parsing english. Much appreciated.
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

    -Q

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Thank you for actually reading and parsing english. Much appreciated.
    well, it is hard. there are people hired to parse it..... although i suppose legal english isn't REALLY english

  5. #55
    Dave Baumann (who now works for AMD) had this to say about that latest slide:

    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=949

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    The slide doesn't go to less granulatity than "product series"; that leaves a lot of wiggle room. Beside, new products have been launched recently and the slides indicate that there will be more in the near future.
    Yeah, I know that's vague, but I'm sure he's not allowed to say more. Anyways, still hope for some kind of new release I think in the not too distant future.
    "Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." - Nikola Tesla

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by MTd2 View Post
    Even though Q4 is not in the graph, it is stated that it is stable throughout 2013. It could mean no release this year.
    We have to read between the lines, mate.

    Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    No, Kepler has (and had) 0 console design wins. I suspect the 'delay' of release of desktop parts is so a large supply of cards for Sony/MS can be built up for launches.
    I was referring to mobile design wins, not consoles. But yeah, I forgot to mention those.

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,360
    One of possible scenarios: AMD put all the engineers on consoles to do magic there, so the hypothetical 8xxx series are going to be console only parts. Desktop parts later when consoles have enough supply (most likely late Q1 2014). This timeline lines up relatively nicely with their usual cadence of GPU launches.
    Of course, this assumes GPUs are going to be only made at wherever they make console parts and not at TSMC as well (assuming they dont make console parts at TSMC too, of course ). Otherwise console launch shouldnt influence desktop market the slightest - different fabs.
    As for mobile dGPUs - why would they want to focus on that, if they have good APUs? Make one 55W with great GPU and claim most of the mobile gaming market.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,561
    Stable throughout 2013 to mean means "until the holiday season, give or take a month". I.e., nothing new this side of October, maybe December.

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,085
    @JeeBee: that's the safest bet, and the one that makes more sense. AMD is competitive and should wait to launch when the time is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zizy View Post
    One of possible scenarios: AMD put all the engineers on consoles to do magic there, so the hypothetical 8xxx series are going to be console only parts. Desktop parts later when consoles have enough supply (most likely late Q1 2014). This timeline lines up relatively nicely with their usual cadence of GPU launches.
    Of course, this assumes GPUs are going to be only made at wherever they make console parts and not at TSMC as well (assuming they dont make console parts at TSMC too, of course ). Otherwise console launch shouldnt influence desktop market the slightest - different fabs.
    As for mobile dGPUs - why would they want to focus on that, if they have good APUs? Make one 55W with great GPU and claim most of the mobile gaming market.
    Because there's a limit on the share they can get with only APU, the majority laptops use CPUs made by Intel, also because the market is there and otherwise they will handle it to nvidia.

    Also, a 8900M GPU should have way more power than an APU by default, it's a different market altogether.

  10. #60
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    483
    When is 20nm?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux