Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My ATI 4870 1GB card just died out of nowhere

If your concern is power, why do you have a 750W PSU? My system is running fine on a 650W PSU, the 680 and 7970 isn't that different in power/perf charts. The fact that your card died is just random, doesn't mean AMD didn't deliver, and it wouldn't mean nVidia didn't deliver had it been an nVidia card. Get the deal that works best for you, but don't get a high end card, and pretend that power matters at all when the numbers are that tiny.
    Desktop R7 1800X@4.1GHz, MSI X370 Xpower gaming titanium(Bios 1.8), 2x8GB Corsair Vengance LED(Red) DDR4 3200MHz@3200MHz(1.45V!) , 2xSamsung 830 256GB & Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Sapphire Fury X 1050MHz / 500MHz, Corsair AX1200i.
    Laptop: Lenovo Y700 AMD FX-8800p, R9 M385X, 2x8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    From my personal browsing experience, everyone is well endowed.

Quote Originally Posted by AtwaterFS View Post
    4870 1GB was a ~2-3% faster than 5770 from what I can recall but essentially they are comparable.
    I might grab a 680 when next refresh pops up (does anyone know when that is?) - but it's tough cause I know I'm paying ~$400-500 for a midrange chip optimized for gaming.
    If I didnt have EVGA bucks to burn I would DEF be interested in the AMD promo... Kepler tho has the edge this gen with perf/power ratio.
    Well thanks everyone who chimed in and was willing to tolerate my bitchin'... Except for you AMD/ATI - You broke my heart ATI, you broke my heart - :'(
    Ah mate, just move on. Plenty of fish in the sea!

Like I say, I haven't been following this graphics card business much lately. Whole thing got to be a bit of a bore, with people near frying their graphics cards and CPUs to get the top scores in my forum benchies.

These days, I think who cares? Just turn down the AA and most stuff runs very well on ?100 cards. Isn't 2GB good with 1920X1080 too, otherwise 1GB will do?

Just to see if I still have my touch, I looked up Llano at Guru of 3D in 3DMark11 and ran it myself:

Seems it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the ability of our (dead) HD 4870 and HD 5770 cards. Quite playable on low settings I'm sure.

More modern scores here: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...er_2012,9.html

Looks to me like the HD 7770 is the modern mainstream replacement and is less than 100W consumption. Go higher like ?200 HD 7870 and they are about 2-3X faster. It's mainly power consumption that has improved with all this 28mm die-shrink business. Does look like my trusty Corsair TX650W power supply is still quite adequate. Had it for years, but it's overkill really. A relic of twin card SLI days.
    Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.

Quote Originally Posted by AtwaterFS View Post
    4870 1GB was a ~2-3% faster than 5770 from what I can recall but essentially they are comparable.
    I might grab a 680 when next refresh pops up (does anyone know when that is?) - but it's tough cause I know I'm paying ~$400-500 for a midrange chip optimized for gaming.
    If I didnt have EVGA bucks to burn I would DEF be interested in the AMD promo... Kepler tho has the edge this gen with perf/power ratio.
    Well thanks everyone who chimed in and was willing to tolerate my bitchin'... Except for you AMD/ATI - You broke my heart ATI, you broke my heart - :'(
    What kind of tech support are you looking for? Sounds like you have your mind set on what you believe has the edge this gen.

No reason to spend more than a 7870 or 670, while we're throwing opinions around. Could just grab a 7750 (or w/e your EVGA bucks will get you equivalently) and save yourself a power bill by getting the same performance as current. They're in the two digit price range, again, not knowing what you have in EVGA bucks.

So here's a dumb question and then I swear I'll let it go...
    I typically ran the card with SLOWWWWW GPU and MEM clocks (lowest ATI Tray Tools would allow IIRC) in order to save power on idle (the achilles heel of the otherwise solid 48X0 architecture was high idle power)... I still had fan at 25% for cooling so it was almost always kept below 60C.
    Was this a bad idea? I would think keeping the card cool and lowering the processing demand would prolong the life of the card... Am I right or does it not matter or does/did this actually have the opposite effect?
    OFC I had shortcut keys for 2D and 3D clocks with corresponding fan profiles, so it wasnt always in this low power state, but obv most of the time it was.
    MY fill in card BTW is a old Quadro 3700 from work - 8800 GTS equivalent - YUCK!
    I noticed that at least with cards from that era (4 yrs ago), Nvidia cards PQ seems smoother, while ATI's PQ seems more crisp/sharper - does that generalization still hold up?
    Thanks

8-bit overflow
    Both IQ are fine; I lean towards AMD as I dislike Nvidia's business practices....

Right now; depending on your budget best bang for your buck/ and power run 7850/7870/7070 TX and 7950.....