Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 700 Series Coming This May

Banned
    Yes, that is a guess. We know so little about Denver, but we know so much about HSA. Why is that?

I don't think AMD is going to be interested in "larger" GPUs, there is no legitimate reason. As for nVidia making smaller ones, they haven't shown any capability to do so.

8-bit overflow
    Let's see about that if those 2560SP:160TMU etc. rumors for the Tahiti successor are true. 420mm2 would be my guess.
    Nvidia has made great smaller GPUs in the past. Sure, their current top GPUs are large, but they are also 30% faster than the competition and have lots of professional features in them that just cost transistors. Aside from that, afaik there always is the tradeoff between perf/mm2 and perf/W. Nvidia clearly chose perf/W this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    Nvidia is working on Project Denver, so I guess that is their own approach to HSA. As for compute, GK110 is larger than Tahiti but also significantly faster as the K20X. So I don't see a problem. I think in the long term they might meet in the middle with AMD making larger GPUs and Nvidia making a bit smaller ones.
    This half happened. AMD have up the "huge die for halo" strategy to the best of my knowledge...

And depends on what you are doing with the chip...
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by rich wargo View Post
    Yes, that is a guess. We know so little about Denver, but we know so much about HSA. Why is that?

I don't think AMD is going to be interested in "larger" GPUs, there is no legitimate reason. As for nVidia making smaller ones, they haven't shown any capability to do so.
    Well, HSA is supposed to be hardware agnostic, so Nvidia can make Denver (if it exists/ever is released, as you point out...) support HSA?

Denver is probably going to be something silly anyways... my understanding is scaling down.... From everything I have heard most chips work in a magnitude of power... So Kepler should not be able to scale past 23.5W~ (unoptimized, etc)
    I could imagine super optimization and lower power cutting that by up to 75-80% of everything is PERFECT... But that still is 5-6Watts...

Others probably know better than me on this... Anyone?
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by rich wargo View Post
    Yeah, short term. Long enough to sell those stock options for $$$ and get out before the roof collapses, right?
    Yeah, NVIDIA shouldn't follow AMD's lead there. AMD is marketing the heck out of the Never Settle bundles and "GHz Editions" to move aging tech. Yet AMD literally can't afford to keep a roof over their head and sold their Austin campus a little over a month ago in order to raise cash.

New tech is great from a consumer short-term standpoint, but unfortunately it doesn't always make good business sense, and we are left with marketing instead.

Primary System: Core i7-6700K - GTX 1060 6GB
    Secondary System: AMD FX-6300 - Radeon RX 470
    Gaming-Only System: Core i5-4670K - Radeon RX 480 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by eRacer View Post
    Yeah, NVIDIA shouldn't follow AMD's lead there. AMD is marketing the heck out of the Never Settle bundles and "GHz Editions" to move aging tech. Yet AMD literally can't afford to keep a roof over their head and sold their Austin campus a little over a month ago in order to raise cash.
    AMD's fundamental issues do not have to do with their GPU bundles and marketing of their GPUs.

Their GPU division has lost almost no money, or made money for quite a while.

And we are not talking about marketing, we are talking about HSA.
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    AMD's fundamental issues do not have to do with their GPU bundles and marketing of their GPUs.
    I agree, yet apparently some believe that NVIDIA's releasing/rebranding with the 700 series is an indication of fundamental problems with NVIDIA's graphics business. Both AMD and NVIDIA rely on a combination of R&D and marketing, and in varying degrees depending on which part of the product cycle they are at.

Their GPU division has lost almost no money, or made money for quite a while.
    AMD's interest payments on the ATI buyout are still more than the operating profit from AMD's graphics business, so seven years after the ATI buyout it remains a money loser for AMD.

And we are not talking about marketing, we are talking about HSA.
    Looked more like a conversation about payoffs of R&D versus marketing, unless the actual topic is "OMG, NVIDIA is DOOMED without HSA!!!1!"

Primary System: Core i7-6700K - GTX 1060 6GB
    Secondary System: AMD FX-6300 - Radeon RX 470
    Gaming-Only System: Core i5-4670K - Radeon RX 480 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by boxleitnerb View Post
    Sure, their current top GPUs are large, but they are also 30% faster than the competition and have lots of professional features in them that just cost transistors.
    No, they do not offer any special "pro" features. It's rather the other way around - their other cores are cut down so badly they are destroyed by AMD offering in computing and professional use even in lower price segments. Just compare Tahiti and 680 or 7870 and whatever is NV answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eRacer View Post
    AMD's interest payments on the ATI buyout are still more than the operating profit from AMD's graphics business, so seven years after the ATI buyout it remains a money loser for AMD.
    Only if you forget how successfull brazos is and that great GPU is the only thing that really keeps Llano and Trinity competitive.
    With Temash, Kaveri and CPU+GPU console wins this will be even more important.
    Without best in class GPU AMD might have been already dead because they couldn't sell any CPU vs Intel SOCs on mid-high end and ARM SOCs on low-end.

8-bit overflow
    IIUC, the nVidia 630 is a fermi gt 440 except that it usually has ddr3 instead of GDDR5 memory. Will some low end fermi chips still be in the NV 700 rebrands?
    DavidB
    ----------
    Just my opinions and possibly faulty memory. I've never worked in the chip industry.