Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gigabyte goes Kaveri crazy with seven new boards

Do you know what I am reading into that G1.Sniper board? It is a full sized ATX board with a PCIe layout aimed squarely at using discrete GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
    I think they just might. All they need to do is sell the top end Kaveri for a reasonable price and the rest should pretty much take care of itself.

I think AMD's recent successes in mobile amply demonstrate that, at least in the current climate, the rest will not take care of itself.

AMD's mobile chips would make great laptops cheaper and cheap laptops better, but they are almost exclusively shoved into ugly bargain-basement boxes.

It will take more than a great product at a good price...

Quote Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
    Do you know what I am reading into that G1.Sniper board? It is a full sized ATX board with a PCIe layout aimed squarely at using discrete GPUs.
    Actually, there's nothing new about that, not even for Gigabyte. There's already an FM2 board by them with 3 PCI-E 16x slots (albeit 1 runs at 8X and one at 4X).

There also have been plenty of uATX boards with 2 PCI-E 16x slots, both FM1 and FM2 socket boards.

So even from that perspective, giving it the G1-name, means that the CPU part of Kaveri would be quite outstanding. Why else justify the G1-name, when you can just throw the more common UD-tag to higher end boards.
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by integrated View Post
    I think AMD's recent successes in mobile amply demonstrate that, at least in the current climate, the rest will not take care of itself.

AMD's mobile chips would make great laptops cheaper and cheap laptops better, but they are almost exclusively shoved into ugly bargain-basement boxes.

It will take more than a great product at a good price...
    True enough I suppose. OEMs and component suppliers do seem to have almost boundless stupidity when it comes to making exciting new products people might actually want to buy.

Take those Gigabyte Kaveri boards for example...not a single mini-ITX amongst them.

Seriously ???

Meh, AMD can only lead the Donkeys to water, it is indeed up to them to start drinking.
    To find the right answers you must ask the right questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
    Take those Gigabyte Kaveri boards for example...not a single mini-ITX amongst them.

Seriously ???
    Gigabyte generally launches the mini-ITX boards a bit later. They did so with current FM2 too. So don't read too much in that straight away.
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Caza View Post
    Dual graphics as of the latest drivers is still a wash. The higher FPS are just runt frames. It needs more work still.
    I thought reviews were showing that AMD's new driver has guaranteed 0 runt frames, which is better than nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
    I thought reviews were showing that AMD's new driver has guaranteed 0 runt frames, which is better than nvidia.
    The recent drivers addressed runt frames with crossfire (GPU+GPU), but not dual graphics(APU+GPU).

Quote Originally Posted by Caza View Post
    The recent drivers addressed runt frames with crossfire (GPU+GPU), but not dual graphics(APU+GPU).
    Yes, you are right. I mixed up the naming.