Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Failure of Ultrabooks

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,555

    Failure of Ultrabooks

    http://semiaccurate.com/2013/10/02/i...books-failure/

    I thought that they wouldn't have given up on this, particularly as the ingredients are now mostly baked - Haswell is giving long battery life, Windows 8.1 will fix some of the Windows 8 issues, screens are moving to higher resolutions, etc.

    But in reality many people don't want expensive slim PC notebooks. They want robust PC notebooks or cheap PC notebooks. For those that go for a Mac, the MacBook Air just happens to be cheaper than the MacBook Pro, something that isn't the case in the PC notebook market.

    And I'm totally not sold on the Two-In-One concept. Might as well get a tablet and a bluetooth keyboard - and that will probably cost less in the end.

  2. #2
    8-bit overflow
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    400
    Well the only thing I criticize in the article is that ARM devices are no longer selling like hot cakes. At least not consumer ones Actually the tablet market is already saturated it seems. People only buy ultra-cheap tablets. So Intel does well not to try to buy into a market that is already over mature.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    The tablet market is no longer growing like it used to, but the sales numbers are still impressive and the market is dominated by ARM SoCs.

    Also the Samsung ARM Chromebook still tops Amazon's sales chart after one year.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by STRESS View Post
    Well the only thing I criticize in the article is that ARM devices are no longer selling like hot cakes. At least not consumer ones Actually the tablet market is already saturated it seems. People only buy ultra-cheap tablets. So Intel does well not to try to buy into a market that is already over mature.
    I think people are finally realizing that dropping $500+ on a tablet is idiotic especially when you have absolutely zero control over the software i.e. once updates stop in 12 months, it turns to garbage. Tablets should have always been cheap and stayed cheap.

    I'll buy that mythical $100 android tablet as a "detachable" for up to $200 max depending on specs and if I get hardware/OS access.


    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    The tablet market is no longer growing like it used to, but the sales numbers are still impressive and the market is dominated by ARM SoCs.

    Also the Samsung ARM Chromebook still tops Amazon's sales chart after one year.
    AFAIK, that's the only place that has actual stock normally. There are always tons of "used/like new" returns listed too. Do returns still count for sales?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Best Buy has them in stock too:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=6869096

    According to various news reports, the Google Chromebook kiosks that were installed in Best Buy stores were also a major part in driving sales.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    AFAIK, that's the only place that has actual stock normally. There are always tons of "used/like new" returns listed too. Do returns still count for sales?
    If so, I guess they will count for all models equally. The Samsung has 34 used and 8 refurbished listings. For comparison, the MacBook which is at #3 in the sales chart has 87 used and 16 refurbished listings.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    If so, I guess they will count for all models equally. The Samsung has 34 used and 8 refurbished listings. For comparison, the MacBook which is at #3 in the sales chart has 87 used and 16 refurbished listings.
    Amazon.com resells returned products in a section called Amazon Warehouse. You can filter these out by selecting "Prime only." The other used products are from third party sellers.

    1. Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch) 12 listings
    2. Dell Inspiron 15 i15RV-6190BLK 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black Matte with Textured Finish) 4 listings
    3. Apple MacBook Pro MD101LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop (NEWEST VERSION) Zero listings


    There is a disproportionate amount of returns on that product--always.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    793
    I guess people get them home and their Office 2003 doesn't install, back she goes
    IT middle management is just like Dungeon Keeper, but with technicians and purchase orders instead of imps and spells

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    There is a disproportionate amount of returns on that product--always.
    No, that just means that a disproportionate amount of returns does not get sold immediately. If you look at the price you will see why.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    No, that just means that a disproportionate amount of returns does not get sold immediately. If you look at the price you will see why.
    Show me a "used" laptop sold by amazon warehouse that consistantly has the same double digit stock. A few times I checked and there were 20+ units. The "used" discount is about the same regardless of price i.e. 20% off chromebook should move the same as 20% off regular laptop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux