Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Nvidia just cancel Project Denver at GTC?

Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    A53 cores are NOT high end material either way you want to twist it.
    so what ?

I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...

Quote Originally Posted by del42sa View Post
    I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...
    From what perspective? Most things on phones are 1-2 threads. Actually, probably everything that the majority of people use it.

Why would you want 6 more cores sucking away power?

Apple showed that their dual core beats competitors much higher clocked Quad cores. You can guess which uses less power, Apple's solution. among phone and tablet users who give a F**k if your 8 cores are slightly faster if they use over 2 times the power. Not most people

-Q
    -Q

so what ?

Here again my original reply for which we are wasting forum bandwidth over the past page:

The Apple A7 SoC contains "only" two Cyclone CPU cores and albeit I don't buy Apple gear I'd rather have two of those "phat" cores then a sea of mini cores in my ULP mobile devices. Those 8 core SoCs you're referring to are A53 and are mainstream/low end SoCs.
    It doesn't leave headroom for misunderstandings or different interpretations.

Obviously NVIDIA won't break any sales records in any of the markets the K1 will appear in, but that doesn't change any of the above.

Obviously NVIDIA won't break any sales records in any of the markets the K1 will appear in...
    finally we agree

Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    Apple showed that their dual core beats competitors much higher clocked Quad cores. You can guess which uses less power, Apple's solution. among phone and tablet users who give a F**k if your 8 cores are slightly faster if they use over 2 times the power. Not most people

-Q
    Nvidia isn?t Apple and Denver is their first custom ARM CPU.....

Remember what Qualcomm said about 8 core or 64-bit ARM chips and now they are on the same bandwagon as Mediatek,Allwinner and others.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...rocessors-dumb

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/qua...-64,24518.html

Charlie knows how to ruin a person's fun.

I called him up last night and said "hey, I KNOW why Nvidia changed their roadmap"

I was planning on saying "it's a big scheme to confuse Charlie so much that he looks like an idiot" /bad joke

Instead Charlie says to me "yeah, it's because they're having problems with X, oh, I mean *cough* TSMC"

Talk about ruining a person's joke.
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Charlie knows how to ruin a person's fun.

I called him up last night and said "hey, I KNOW why Nvidia changed their roadmap"

I was planning on saying "it's a big scheme to confuse Charlie so much that he looks like an idiot" /bad joke

Instead Charlie says to me "yeah, it's because they're having problems with X, oh, I mean *cough* TSMC"

Talk about ruining a person's joke.
    Ι have a confession to make: I hate you now even more (you don't tease with stuff like that in public....)

Update: We received a brief response from NVIDIA on Parker: "Erista was moved ahead of Parker. We'll provide further updates later."

So this confirms Parker is still in the pipeline, and lends some support to our suspicions that there's a delay on the manufacturing side (rather than the architecture side).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7905/n...-tegra-roadmap

Ι have a confession to make: I hate you now even more (you don't tease with stuff like that in public....)
    You shouldn't. It pisses the F(CK out of me when he does that. He'll say something and then not write it for a few months. Drive me cr@zy!!
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

-Q

didn?t you read what Laurent just said ? Denver is supposed to target mobile, no way it could target HPC or ARM microservers
    Trying to be sarcastic? As a reminder here is what I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    No: Seattle is clearly targetting the micro server market (this is not HPC BTW) while Denver is supposed to target mobile (among other segments).
    Yes, definitely marketing prefers 8 lower performance cores to 2 higher performance cores. I don't.
    Speaking for myself.