Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 479

Thread: Did Nvidia just cancel Project Denver at GTC?

  1. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    A53 cores are NOT high end material either way you want to twist it.
    so what ?

    I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...

  2. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,446
    Quote Originally Posted by del42sa View Post
    I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...
    From what perspective? Most things on phones are 1-2 threads. Actually, probably everything that the majority of people use it.

    Why would you want 6 more cores sucking away power?

    Apple showed that their dual core beats competitors much higher clocked Quad cores. You can guess which uses less power, Apple's solution. among phone and tablet users who give a F**k if your 8 cores are slightly faster if they use over 2 times the power. Not most people

    -Q
    -Q

  3. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by del42sa View Post
    so what ?

    I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...
    Here again my original reply for which we are wasting forum bandwidth over the past page:

    The Apple A7 SoC contains "only" two Cyclone CPU cores and albeit I don't buy Apple gear I'd rather have two of those "phat" cores then a sea of mini cores in my ULP mobile devices. Those 8 core SoCs you're referring to are A53 and are mainstream/low end SoCs.
    It doesn't leave headroom for misunderstandings or different interpretations.

    Obviously NVIDIA won't break any sales records in any of the markets the K1 will appear in, but that doesn't change any of the above.

  4. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    Obviously NVIDIA won't break any sales records in any of the markets the K1 will appear in...
    finally we agree

    Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    Apple showed that their dual core beats competitors much higher clocked Quad cores. You can guess which uses less power, Apple's solution. among phone and tablet users who give a F**k if your 8 cores are slightly faster if they use over 2 times the power. Not most people

    -Q
    Nvidia isn?t Apple and Denver is their first custom ARM CPU.....

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,390
    Remember what Qualcomm said about 8 core or 64-bit ARM chips and now they are on the same bandwagon as Mediatek,Allwinner and others.

    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...rocessors-dumb

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/qua...-64,24518.html

  6. #96
    Administrator Copper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,419
    Charlie knows how to ruin a person's fun.

    I called him up last night and said "hey, I KNOW why Nvidia changed their roadmap"

    I was planning on saying "it's a big scheme to confuse Charlie so much that he looks like an idiot" /bad joke

    Instead Charlie says to me "yeah, it's because they're having problems with X, oh, I mean *cough* TSMC"

    Talk about ruining a person's joke.
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

    -Q

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Charlie knows how to ruin a person's fun.

    I called him up last night and said "hey, I KNOW why Nvidia changed their roadmap"

    I was planning on saying "it's a big scheme to confuse Charlie so much that he looks like an idiot" /bad joke

    Instead Charlie says to me "yeah, it's because they're having problems with X, oh, I mean *cough* TSMC"

    Talk about ruining a person's joke.
    Ι have a confession to make: I hate you now even more (you don't tease with stuff like that in public....)

  8. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,390
    Update: We received a brief response from NVIDIA on Parker: "Erista was moved ahead of Parker. We'll provide further updates later."

    So this confirms Parker is still in the pipeline, and lends some support to our suspicions that there's a delay on the manufacturing side (rather than the architecture side).

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7905/n...-tegra-roadmap

  9. #99
    Administrator Copper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
    Ι have a confession to make: I hate you now even more (you don't tease with stuff like that in public....)
    You shouldn't. It pisses the F(CK out of me when he does that. He'll say something and then not write it for a few months. Drive me cr@zy!!
    Specialization is for insects. - Heinlein
    Laugh dammit, life is too damned short not to laugh
    ------------------------
    I don't care if the sub-pixels are so small I need TWO magnifying glasses to see them. I want a phone that has longer battery life.

    -Q

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,821
    Quote Originally Posted by del42sa View Post
    didn?t you read what Laurent just said ? Denver is supposed to target mobile, no way it could target HPC or ARM microservers
    Trying to be sarcastic? As a reminder here is what I wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    No: Seattle is clearly targetting the micro server market (this is not HPC BTW) while Denver is supposed to target mobile (among other segments).
    Quote Originally Posted by del42sa View Post
    I am not twisting anything, I am just saying, that many will prefer 8 "weaker" cores instead of the two in 64 bit K1. You obviously didn?t get it ...
    Yes, definitely marketing prefers 8 lower performance cores to 2 higher performance cores. I don't.
    Speaking for myself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux