Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible new build, suggestions?

8-bit overflow

Possible new build, suggestions?

Ok, so i thought i'd ask the question in the more AMD aware forum. The reason is simple. Poor experience as an owner on Intel platforms. Two motherboards had conked off, and taken various bits of the system, and one of them was a $300 GPU. My laptop is Intel based, third gen core. The drivers removed functionalities, most likely encouraging to buy newer stuff, a tactic which i resent. So yes, very little faith there. I thought i may pick up x99, but then i'm not having much confidence there, after reading a user having problems with pcie on a $400-500 odd board (i was considering something cheaper, but nevermind). So i may after all make another desktop with AMD. I did buy FM2+ to replace my dead C2D system which is in India (i know... but GPUs are quite expensive in India), and is working more than fine for what is but over 18 months. So what can i expect to buy now for a suitable gaming (figures a gaming one can handle my work easy peasy) desktop, or even in next 5-6 months.

Apologies to those who think this is asinine, but i had to ask, as i've been putting off this desktop for a bit now looking for suitable parts. My upgrades are usually fairly slow on processor/ motherboard front. An upgrade path to upcoming processor(s) is more than welcome.

I thought these two salvage chips from AMD are pretty good of you like a separate graphics card, and my old HD 5770 still goes strong:
    Athlon FM2 without graphics: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...0kxbjabox.html
    Piledriver FX-6 AM3+ : http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...50frhkbox.html

Both will be well below the normal sort of 125W CPU wattage, so willl overclock like crazy with a good cooler and motherboard with 6 or 8 good CPU power regulators, and in fact you just change the multiplier with Black Editions. Always get a good power supply too. Heart and soul of a reliable system IMO. It's the bulging electolytic capacitors that kill you.

I'd like to try either of these, but my old overclocked Athlon 635 X4 chugs on well at 3.5MHz. I'd only gain about 30% I reckon, and that's not enough to justify the upgrade. In fact, I'm pretty still happy with it, even after 5 years.
    Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.

640k who needs more?
    I second that Athlon. Incredible value there. Just make certain the BIOS your board comes with supports it.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by system7 View Post
    I thought these two salvage chips from AMD are pretty good of you like a separate graphics card, and my old HD 5770 still goes strong:
    Athlon FM2 without graphics: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...0kxbjabox.html
    Piledriver FX-6 AM3+ : http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...50frhkbox.html

Both will be well below the normal sort of 125W CPU wattage, so willl overclock like crazy with a good cooler and motherboard with 6 or 8 good CPU power regulators, and in fact you just change the multiplier with Black Editions. Always get a good power supply too. Heart and soul of a reliable system IMO. It's the bulging electolytic capacitors that kill you.

I'd like to try either of these, but my old overclocked Athlon 635 X4 chugs on well at 3.5MHz. I'd only gain about 30% I reckon, and that's not enough to justify the upgrade. In fact, I'm pretty still happy with it, even after 5 years.
    Well, iirc both AM3 and FM2+ (i incidentally bought 860k and gigabyte G1 sniper fm2+ which is the system in India used by my folks) platforms are somewhat dead in water with no upgrade path, or i may have built a system around black friday itself. I'd like to know that there possibly (very likely) be an upgrade path for CPU's, as changing entire platforms to me is an undesirable expense. I don't have to build now, and i can wait may be 2-3 months even, if something right comes along (say FM3, which i hope HAS an upgrade path).

640k who needs more?
    FM2+ will have more of an upgrade path than AM3+, but don't expect miracles. Intel is definitely worse when it comes to upgrade path.

If you're looking at X99 price range, that puts you toward AM3+ territory. I generally suggest a decent motherboard, something like Asus M5A99FX or Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 with an FX 8320 and overclocking.

It's extremely good value. I'm using US pricing, but FX 8320 is around $150 and M5A99FX is around $125. That's a sub-$300 upgrade with CPU and motherboard that performs close to an Intel quad with Hyperthreading in multi-thread, but trails a bit in single thread.

It's extremely difficult value to pass up. That, and spending less on that level of performance means you don't have to wait as long between upgrade cycles. You won't get that kind of performance on Intel platforms for that cost. Asus M5A97 is $99 on newegg right now. That's $250 for better multi-thread performance than a 4690k. And the AMD combo is a little more money than the 4690k alone.

I just went back to x58 from my FX8350 and Crosshair V. For games the six core xeon I have equals the AMD in performance with a ghz less in clocks (3ghz vs 4ghz). But with the intel I have a lot more overclocking potential and tweaking room. I could get 700 MHz more out of my FX before it had enough.

I like to overclock more than okay games. Call me a cinebench player.
    Ask me about Jesus.

8-bit overflow
    @Germanicus
    Yes, i still remember when the same socket was repackaged... several times in different flavours. You genuinely don't have to tell me who's worse at it :P

@Sdlvx
    I was genuinely hoping to buy something new, and so i can wait. I do have a fairly decent laptop, but i do want a desktop with r9 3xx card, and would prefer something that will stay relevant for a bit. I don't even mind somewhat more powerful new APU Athlon, with may be support for some new x86 extensions, as that helps out with newer software and so on, hence my curiosity about FM3 and such. Personally, i'd rather buy AMD, and not Intel. If i have to wait a few months, i will. Two motherboards with various bits gone is not much fun. Similarly my friends who were on Intel also had some poor experiences, but they switched to AMD, everything was just working fine. I would not mind buying AM3 chippery, if it were not for lack of upgrades,plus good chips cost a lot of dough. I don't use linux (i know... ), and the most stressful thing is going to be gaming.

@JonHarris
    Well, the worst thing that i will do with my system is may be encode some videos, which the GPU can do now. Or play games, again GPU, but i don't exactly run benchmarks. It has to be functional and relevant system, and preferably something which will not miss out on new USB 3.x updates, M2 ports etc. Worst case scenario, i have to go for the best compromise, but it would be preferable that the board had as many sata ports as it does. I think 8-10 are ok, but ASRock x99 Extreme 11 with 20 of them, that is hardcore S@T@ pr0nography. If it were anywhere close to $200, i'd have had already bent over and given Intel my money. There are two Microcenter shops not too far from where i live... Intel's 5820 is just as expensive as 95XX processors from AMD.

I quite like Asrock, but Gigabyte and Asus are the real overclock motherboard makers. Look for one with good CPU regulators and support for the high end processors that spells OVERCLOCK capability.

PC and gaming performance is an incredibly tedious business, IMO. I really don't know why people get their panties in a twist about it. Do you hang your head in shame and pull up your collar because the other guy on the forum is getting a higher score in 3D Mark 20XX ?

http://www.adequacy.org/public/stori...2749.2140.html

For all that, I was quite surprised that AMD actually do have a kind of quick processor, the 5Mhz FX-9590:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...90-vs-i7-4960x

Now 220W CPU thermals are a bit high, IMO. But with a liquid cooler, not too bad. It really looks like the APU idea isn't really hacking it with the gamers. I don't see why they couldn't make a 6 or 8 core FM2+ Black Edition pure CPU for them. You gotta be willing to play to your strengths.

On the subject of Linux, I have had no issues at all with AMD hardware with Ubuntu. It seems to know what to do. And I prefer it for secure Bank transactions definitely. Hewlett Packard printers and Netgear routers are very Linux friendly too.
    Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by system7 View Post
    I quite like Asrock, but Gigabyte and Asus are the real overclock motherboard makers. Look for one with good CPU regulators and support for the high end processors that spells OVERCLOCK capability.

PC and gaming performance is an incredibly tedious business, IMO. I really don't know why people get their panties in a twist about it. Do you hang your head in shame and pull up your collar because the other guy on the forum is getting a higher score in 3D Mark 20XX ?

http://www.adequacy.org/public/stori...2749.2140.html

For all that, I was quite surprised that AMD actually do have a kind of quick processor, the 5Mhz FX-9590:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...90-vs-i7-4960x

Now 220W CPU thermals are a bit high, IMO. But with a liquid cooler, not too bad. It really looks like the APU idea isn't really hacking it with the gamers. I don't see why they couldn't make a 6 or 8 core FM2+ Black Edition pure CPU for them. You gotta be willing to play to your strengths.

On the subject of Linux, I have had no issues at all with AMD hardware with Ubuntu. It seems to know what to do. And I prefer it for secure Bank transactions definitely. Hewlett Packard printers and Netgear routers are very Linux friendly too.
    I don't play 3DMark... have never and won't i guess.

Grumble, i know that AMD works better on Linux, not much Intel compiler goes about... end grumbling rant. A new motherboard with some new features is going to be very welcome as far as i can tell. Some new features may well be worth the money i may pay for it. I would consider APU's with hardware acceleration for 4k and stuff, but then again, i may buy an athlon without the GPU, as i would certainly have discrete.

That FX sure doesn't look bad at all... thanks for reminding me, i have just now recommended it to a friend who's still on Phenom II 940x and AM3. Will keep an eye on something unpassable of a deal, but i'll much prefer a new processor, mobo combo.