Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Agreed. Don't forget people just saying "screw it" over RR DT delay and buying a console or not gaming.

I think AMD dropping the ball on BR/RR DT is going to cause major issues later. A potential RR mobile delay is going to make it even worse.
    Essentially no one is saying "screw it" to desktop PC gaming just because they couldn't get quad-core Zen CPUs with integrated graphics featuring sub-RX 460/GTX 1050 performance.

RR DT is needed to more effectively compete with Intel on budget/mainstream desktop CPU performance, a market where cheap is going to be more important than FPS.

RR mobile gaming performance is more relevant because you just can't just pop a discrete video card into a typical laptop for better gaming performance, and laptops which do feature relatively good discrete GPUs are sold at a big premium.
    Last edited by eRacer; 6th September 2017 at 08:30 PM.

Primary System: Core i7-6700K - GTX 1060 6GB
    Secondary System: AMD FX-6300 - Radeon RX 470
    Gaming-Only System: Core i5-4670K - Radeon RX 480 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Agreed. Don't forget people just saying "screw it" over RR DT delay and buying a console or not gaming.

I think AMD dropping the ball on BR/RR DT is going to cause major issues later. A potential RR mobile delay is going to make it even worse.
    There are plenty of Intel + NVidia laptops out there, for not a massive amount of money. An entry level gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 will blow Raven Ridge out of the water, because it isn't crippled by a DDR4 memory bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Moral Hazard View Post
    No necessarily indicative of the whole PC market, but definitely a positive sign for Ryzen sales in the DiY market.
    The news presented in this way means like nothing special has happened. Let's reread it again

AMD has reached its biggest marketshare milestone in over a decade, overtaking Intel in both units sold and revenue at Germany’s largest online retailer. The data pulled from the “Newegg” of Germany, Mindfactory.de, shows AMD’s Ryzen and Threadripper CPU sales growing over several months to finally overtake Intel in August.

AMD’s Threadripper CPUs in particular have done exceptionally well, generating a significant amount of revenue for the Sunnyvale California based chipmaker. The Ryzen Threadripper family was introduced just a month ago to great critical acclaim. The Ryzen Threadripper 1950X was AMD’s first processor in over fifteen years to be crowned the world’s fastest, outpacing Intel’s best by over 45%.

Quote Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
    There are plenty of Intel + NVidia laptops out there, for not a massive amount of money. An entry level gaming laptop with a GTX 1050 will blow Raven Ridge out of the water, because it isn't crippled by a DDR4 memory bus.
    Any links with cheap offers?
    Last edited by GeorgiD; 7th September 2017 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
    There is no way those Intel + NVidia laptops can compete price wise with an amd RR. There is added cost and complexity when using discrete gpu. There is also the danger of the gpu being damaged that is not present on the laptop using an apu. The apu has a socket and can be replaced but the gpu is almost always soldered on the motherboard. I have lost 3 laptops so far because the gpu died. (actually 1 of them worked again for a few days after a gpu reflow with heat gun so it was a connection issue but you get the point).
    One of the problems using a discrete gpu on a laptop is that there are 2 heat sources and you need more volume and weight for copper heatpipes for cooling.
    Also I dont think that a 1050 will be enough to "blow Raven Ridge out of the water" especially when RR will compete price wise with laptops using 1030 gpu (which will not be that much faster than RR). Also RR will probably consume similar if not less power than Intel + NVidia 1030 combo since RR will be clocked lower than R7 1800X speeds where ryzen is inefficient and the gpu will be closer to 1GHz where gcn has excelent efficiency, almost similar to pascal.
    Current rig: i5 3570 @3.8GHz, Asus 7750, Dell 24'' 2560X1440, Corsair Vengence 16GB Ram DDR3 @1600MHz, Chieftec 550W PSU, 480GB OCZ SSD + 500GB Seagate + 1TB WD hd, Windows 10 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by eRacer View Post
    AMD is making big progress with the DIY crowd. However, as of this moment Intel CPUs make up 4 of the top 5 best selling CPUs on Amazon, with the 1700X being the lone AMD processor ranked at #3.
    Quote Originally Posted by cduchesne View Post
    That list changes pretty frequently. I've been watching every other day and AMD has typically maintains 2 CPUs in the top 5 and 4-5 in the top 10 for the past 2-3 months. What is quite a change is that AMD has premium-priced processors in the to 5 which they haven't had for years.
    Does any one have any guesses as to why R5 1600 fell off that list? AFAIK, R5 1600 is the best selling Ryzen SKU and was the model that was #2 or #3 pretty much constantly since it was introduced. But, all of sudden, it disappeared from that chart. Amazon still sells it here. It says that it is #53 in Computers & Accessories (See top 100).

From this Reddit post, R5 1600 is the best selling SKU in Mindfactory in Germany also.

So, I can't believe that people buying from Amazon suddenly lost interest in 1600. I wonder why Amazon dropped 1600 from best selling CPU chart... If it was still on the list, as I think it should, AMD would have 3 out of top 5 CPUs in that chart.

Conspiracy?

Quote Originally Posted by bsp2020 View Post
    Does any one have any guesses as to why R5 1600 fell off that list? AFAIK, R5 1600 is the best selling Ryzen SKU and was the model that was #2 or #3 pretty much constantly since it was introduced. But, all of sudden, it disappeared from that chart. Amazon still sells it here. It says that it is #53 in Computers & Accessories (See top 100).

From this Reddit post, R5 1600 is the best selling SKU in Mindfactory in Germany also.

So, I can't believe that people buying from Amazon suddenly lost interest in 1600. I wonder why Amazon dropped 1600 from best selling CPU chart... If it was still on the list, as I think it should, AMD would have 3 out of top 5 CPUs in that chart.

Conspiracy?
    About a week ago, the 1600 fell off the list because the manager of the product profile seemed to change its product category. You'll see that it now lists it as "#50 in Computers & Accessories" instead of #<top5> in CPU Processors. It has always been in the top 10 though unless out of stock. Maybe someone in Marketing was trying to gauge how it compared to a more generic category higher above?

Is there a bigger site for selling DIY computer components in the US than Newegg? Maybe the sheer size of Amazon meens they sell more, but I wouldn't bet on it. Currently NewEgg's desktop CPUs listed by "best selling" has Ryzens in the top 3 spots. Of course it would be a lot more informative to know the volumes, and they certainly will vary, with new releases tending to jump towards the top (an intel chip may be in the #4 spot in 3 months, for instance, but it's doubtful it will be an i9 chip like the one there now). The importance of the MindFactory.de data is that it had volumes, price and showed the data by month over a period of months.

The big thing for AMD, though, isn't just the sales volume, it's that it's selling a decent volume of chips at a decent price. The top 3 chips ranged from $215-$360. Before Ryzen's release they we barely selling any chips at over $200, and have had a terrible time getting their ASPs over $100.
    Fear leads to uncertainty.
    Uncertainty leads to doubt.
    Doubt leads to Intel.

I sense much fear in Intel.

Currently NewEgg's desktop CPUs listed by "best selling" has Ryzens in the top 3 spots. Of course it would be a lot more informative to know the volumes, and they certainly will vary, with new releases tending to jump towards the top (an intel chip may be in the #4 spot in 3 months, for instance, but it's doubtful it will be an i9 chip like the one there now).
    The strangest things: there's no i7-7700(k) in the first 25(default first page); FX-8350 @#7.

Quote Originally Posted by cduchesne View Post
    About a week ago, the 1600 fell off the list because the manager of the product profile seemed to change its product category. You'll see that it now lists it as "#50 in Computers & Accessories" instead of #<top5> in CPU Processors. It has always been in the top 10 though unless out of stock. Maybe someone in Marketing was trying to gauge how it compared to a more generic category higher above?
    It's back where it belongs, now in the #2 spot in best selling CPUs.

Primary System: Core i7-6700K - GTX 1060 6GB
    Secondary System: AMD FX-6300 - Radeon RX 470
    Gaming-Only System: Core i5-4670K - Radeon RX 480 8GB

Is there a bigger site for selling DIY computer components in the US than Newegg? Maybe the sheer size of Amazon meens they sell more, but I wouldn't bet on it. Currently NewEgg's desktop CPUs listed by "best selling" has Ryzens in the top 3 spots. Of course it would be a lot more informative to know the volumes, and they certainly will vary, with new releases tending to jump towards the top (an intel chip may be in the #4 spot in 3 months, for instance, but it's doubtful it will be an i9 chip like the one there now). The importance of the MindFactory.de data is that it had volumes, price and showed the data by month over a period of months.

The big thing for AMD, though, isn't just the sales volume, it's that it's selling a decent volume of chips at a decent price. The top 3 chips ranged from $215-$360. Before Ryzen's release they we barely selling any chips at over $200, and have had a terrible time getting their ASPs over $100.
    Did they even offer chips in the over $200 category (excluding server CPU) ?