Page 415 of 429 FirstFirst ... 315365405413414415416417425 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,150 of 4288

Thread: Polaris 10 size / performance estimation

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by livebriand View Post
    Why would OEM's want future proofing? Future-proof systems sell less systems in the future. Better that they can sell one overpriced system today and another overpriced system tomorrow.

The whole industry is a scam designed to con the consumer, but it's the consumers fault for being ignorant. If they want Intel and Nvidia, give it to them I say. AMD needs out of this, it's a complete waste of resources for them.
    I wouldn't say that AMD are scamming customers, they really can't afford to. 480 is a great card (580 more so) but it is very different from the Geforce4 MX series (just watched your video) as it isn't going to hold developers back, Nvidia are still playing catchup, Polaris won't be obsolete for many years (feature set and frame buffer, capable of multi gpu).

I don't think rebrands / refreshes on mainstream cards is a massive problem as the upgrade cycle tends to be much longer anyway - at least with AMD you have some future proofing.
    Maybe we should blame reviewers and shills for AMD having to "rebrand" the 480 as at least now everyone is going to have to be "honest" about how the 480/580 performs against the 1060 (still going to be ref vs OC).

What 580 will you get for review and what do you have to compare it against (like for like would be best, same brand etc)? It will be really nice to see what factory OC cards reach - 1.5Ghz for the 580 does look promising for Vega.

I don't think it's always the customers fault either, too many shills and fan boys so even the few that do try to make an informed purchase end up misinformed and most don't even buy hardware anyway as it is sold to them ("no no no, you need this Intel and Nvidia because of x?ź")

I have an MSI 580 and 570 Nitro. They are decent cards but no surprises. I'm finding it hard to get enthused about them tbh, but the entire market is just boring as hell.

They are an opportunity for AMD to right the wrongs of the 480 reference cooler, but as far as I'm concerned that should never have happened anyway. Blows my mind how a multi-billion dollar corporation can continuously make the same mistakes at product launches.

It's probably less than 500 cards worldwide to the press, surely they can find 500 decent coolers to stick on them...

Quote Originally Posted by livebriand View Post
    I have an MSI 580 and 570 Nitro. They are decent cards but no surprises. I'm finding it hard to get enthused about them tbh, but the entire market is just boring as hell.

They are an opportunity for AMD to right the wrongs of the 480 reference cooler, but as far as I'm concerned that should never have happened anyway. Blows my mind how a multi-billion dollar corporation can continuously make the same mistakes at product launches.

It's probably less than 500 cards worldwide to the press, surely they can find 500 decent coolers to stick on them...
    The water-drop strategy pretty much depends on rebrands and minor revisions, that's expected... But can you get the info if RX580/570 are a revision or not even that?

Anyway it should put to rest about Vega market positioning and pricing, Vega 10 and 20 can only go up on the stack (as that was what made sense anyway but some had doubts...), RX 590 (V20) and Fury (V10).

Quote Originally Posted by sirroman View Post
    The water-drop strategy pretty much depends on rebrands and minor revisions, that's expected... But can you get the info if RX580/570 are a revision or not even that?
    Well, they're on 3rd generation 14nm FinFETs.

If that is some GloFo custom process, or Samsung's 3rd generation, who knows.
    -Q

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by sirroman View Post

Anyway it should put to rest about Vega market positioning and pricing, Vega 10 and 20 can only go up on the stack (as that was what made sense anyway but some had doubts...), RX 590 (V20) and Fury (V10).
    Vega 10&11 @ 14nm iirc
    Vega 20 is 7nm and a while away

The silicon is better than what I had with any 480, but I may just have had bad 480's. Don't expect miracles though, the leaks don't appear to be lying anyway.

From what I can tell it's better undervolting than it is overclocking. It's difficult to tell just how much of it is down to the AIB's though. MSI in particular appear to be very lazy on voltages. This stuff drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drashek View Post
    Vega 10&11 @ 14nm iirc
    Vega 20 is 7nm and a while away
    Sry, V10/V11 then

Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post

Really? Have you got any info on that? Thought it was still 14Lpp.
    If its not a custom implementation then its 14LPC, not much of an improvement.
    What we want is 4th gen 14LPU

Quote Originally Posted by french toast View Post
    It said it on one of the leaked slides somewhere. "RX 500 series...3rd gen 14nm FF".

Here you go http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-58...official-leak/, down the bottom.
    To find the right answers you must ask the right questions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by french toast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey View Post
    It said it on one of the leaked slides somewhere. "RX 500 series...3rd gen 14nm FF".

Here you go http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-58...official-leak/, down the bottom.
    "Third gen" could mean anything from Samsung 14LPC to IBM/Glofo 14HP, including some improved LPP at Glofo that I will denote as 14LPP+.

So far as I know 14LPC is not licensed to Glofo and 14HP is not suitable for GPUs. The remaining option is an 14LPP+ at Glofo. Hint Hint, the same improved LPP that will be used in the Pinnacle Ridge refresh?