Page 74 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: The EU in distress

Quote Originally Posted by system7 View Post
    Yeah, but they won't split.

That's just some politicians talking. We are family. Get real.

Why do you seek division? I seek what we have in common. Because we are all in this together. You are truly a morally bankrupt individual. So smarmy. Sorry, that's how it is. But I hope you find some sort of ethical dimension in your life.
    That's why divorce exists. You get your independence; they get the kids, house, and monthly alimony payments. But hey, you're free!

What if bankers want to profit from the division? Why do you hate capitalism all of a sudden? If bankers want to implode your economy like the did greece's, that's fair right?

Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Irrelevant. Tax was levied at corporation. Said corporation evaded taxes. Corporation should be fined and or seized if they won't pay. Opinions on whether the tax is just/good/fair/etc are irrelevant.
    I think you don't grasp the difference between evasion (the illegal way to get around taxes) and avoidance. One of the downsides to taxing corporations is that they can hire teams of accountants and lawyers to find legal ways to avoid paying taxes, with the results that outrage many who asume if they're paying little in taxes they're breaking the law. Much easier to tax actual people directly. They have fewer means of avoiding taxes. Eliminate the corporate income tax and tax individuals' capital gains as income. It simplifies everything, makes it easier to enforce and it means capital income is taxed equally with labor income.

Besides relying on corporate income taxes is a mess. Every time there's a recession corporate income taxes drop into the toilet and you end up needing 'austerity' to close the gap.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    - C. S. Lewis

Doesn't have to end up with genocide, but people are getting rounded up.
    Ethnic cleansing doesn't necessarily means genocide; see Sudetenland as a more known example, or Ceausescu's minority politics in the 80's for an obscure one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolishoru View Post
    Ethnic cleansing doesn't necessarily means genocide; see Sudetenland as a more known example, or Ceausescu's minority politics in the 80's for an obscure one.
    And when did you ever want to talk about Falkenau in the Sudetenland, Zolishoru (whoever you are...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujN3Aj8qpY

You ran away a mile. Because you are sick. Like a lot of sad puppies in this thread. All is evasion of the truth. But, hey, you might grow up. This is my hope.

Banned
    Yeah, but they won't split.

That's just some politicians talking. We are family. Get real.

Why do you seek division? I seek what we have in common. Because we are all in this together. You are truly a morally bankrupt individual. So smarmy. Sorry, that's how it is. But I hope you find some sort of ethical dimension in your life.

Start with St. Mark: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+1&version=KJV

Bravery and honesty and kindness are better qualities than cleverness. Because, TBH, we are ALL clever here. But time will tell.
    Yeah just some some politicians talking.

I don't seek division. I think you missed the "come back to EU."

And when did you ever want to talk about Falkenau in the Sudetenland, Zolishoru (whoever you are...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujN3Aj8qpY

You ran away a mile. Because you are sick. Like a lot of sad puppies in this thread. All is evasion of the truth. But, hey, you might grow up. This is my hope.
    One more proof that you need to take the Simon T. Fraser University - because it will teach you when to STFU, like now.

Banned
    Zolishoru, you are a sneaky little crook who reveals nothing about himself. You fall at the first hurdle of honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by juanrga View Post
    Yeah just some some politicians talking.

I don't seek division. I think you missed the "come back to EU."
    No, juanrga, despite us being good friends over they years, because I respect anybody's right to argue a case, the UK has decided on the EU issue.

It was a fair and democratic contest. And now we respect the decision, just as I would have respected the remain verdict if it had happened.

I have no wish to return to the EU. It's failing miserably for the youth of Greece and Spain and Portugal. 50% youth unemployment for bright young people is pretty sad IMO.

Britain may succeed or fail independently, but much as the Germans laugh at "Little Britain" we actually saved you from yourselves before. And, boringly, might have to do so again. Preferably without reducing Us and Europe to rubble for 50 years.

TBH, I don't have time to waste. And, to be fair, I find science and maths much more interesting than left-wing politics. I mean, surely, we have seen all that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Moral Hazard View Post
    I think you don't grasp the difference between evasion (the illegal way to get around taxes) and avoidance. One of the downsides to taxing corporations is that they can hire teams of accountants and lawyers to find legal ways to avoid paying taxes, with the results that outrage many who asume if they're paying little in taxes they're breaking the law. Much easier to tax actual people directly. They have fewer means of avoiding taxes. Eliminate the corporate income tax and tax individuals' capital gains as income. It simplifies everything, makes it easier to enforce and it means capital income is taxed equally with labor income.

Besides relying on corporate income taxes is a mess. Every time there's a recession corporate income taxes drop into the toilet and you end up needing 'austerity' to close the gap.
    Irrelevant. Tax is owed and has to be paid. A corporation is free to actually avoid tax and exit the marketplace or stop the action that triggers the tax. That is tax avoidance. Conspiring to evade taxes should not be legal.

Tax just people? "I make no money. It's all tied up in my tax free corporation and for work I did overseas where I owe no tax. Oh my mansion? That was paid for by my tax free foundation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_ev...ruary_2014.jpg

It was a fair and democratic contest. And now we respect the decision, just as I would have respected the remain verdict if it had happened.
    Great. Break out your checkbook and respectively sign it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-them-money/

"We will be insisting that Cornwall receives investment equal to that provided by the E.U. program," which has averaged 60 million pounds (about $82 million) per year over the past decade, Pollard said.

Irrelevant. Tax is owed and has to be paid. A corporation is free to actually avoid tax and exit the marketplace or stop the action that triggers the tax. That is tax avoidance. Conspiring to evade taxes should not be legal.

Tax just people? "I make no money. It's all tied up in my tax free corporation and for work I did overseas where I owe no tax. Oh my mansion? That was paid for by my tax free foundation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_ev...ruary_2014.jpg
    This is a funny conversation to be having under the circumstances considering that the cases that have drawn the most outrage are companies using E.U. law to shift their income to low tax Ireland. It's entirely possible that Google and Apple will be paying more tax on their U.K. income soon as a result of brexit.

Edit: I wonder if that's one of the reasons big business was so against brexit? Ending the free trade system and ability to import cheaper labor were certainly big factors but the trade system is likely to be fixed in the long run and while cheap labor may not be it doesn't give multinational corporations a comparative advantage over smaller businesses the way the ability to shift income between countries does (in terms of goods rather than services labor imobility may actually give multinationals an advantage since even if labor can't move production still can).
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    - C. S. Lewis