Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ion versus D510/D410

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ion versus D510/D410

You can see Intel scheming to keep its boot down on the throat of netbook performance can't you? Wouldn't want to cannibalize the more profitable CULV ultra-light segment, after all.

One other thing I will say: this article is badly in need of some graphs.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

>intel 4004
    Then tell me what is a netbook?

Net as in surfing the Internet or Network-capcble entertainment such as intensive 3D gaming and HD video playback?

Don't tell me "anything should have as much features as possible, because that's good, and will make more people buy it" arguments.
    That's what the netbook makers want you to believe, so that they can add more useless stuff (Of course from Intel's point-of-view) to make the netbook "all-rounded" and make you pay more.

That's ignorant to the strategic position (Of course from Intel's point-of-view) of netbooks/nettops as the "Xth gadget around you", where X > 2, the first one being notebook, and one of them is your mobile phone, while one of them is multimedia player (e.g. iPod/MP4 player).

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post

That's ignorant to the strategic position (Of course from Intel's point-of-view) of netbooks/nettops as the "Xth gadget around you", where X > 2, the first one being notebook, and one of them is your mobile phone, while one of them is multimedia player (e.g. iPod/MP4 player).
    Yes its clever market segmentation - I mean it has created a brand new market which has been a big hit.

Nevertheless it does look like standard Intel behaviour - if there is little credible competition in an area, do the minimum necessary to move your product range ahead.

Again, not that I am saying this is bad from a business standpoint, but not great for consumers.
    Athlon II X3 455 (Rana) @ 3.83 GHz, GA-MA78G-DS3H rev 1.0, 4GB DDR2, XFX HD 5850 @ 801/1099 MHz, Win XP Pro-32 SP3, Seagate 7200.11 Barracuda 500GB (OS) - recovered from BSY error on SD1A firmware, Vantec Ion2+ 550W, NZXT Hush

I wish I could remember where I read this, but I have read that somwhere in the range of 60% of people who buy a netbook are under the impression that it has similar performance/functionality to a notebook/desktop. I don't know if I believe that number but it probably accounts for something

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuitboy View Post
    I wish I could remember where I read this, but I have read that somwhere in the range of 60% of people who buy a netbook are under the impression that it has similar performance/functionality to a notebook/desktop. I don't know if I believe that number but it probably accounts for something
    That's why Intel don't like its Atom product line, it don't have the high margins, but it has high volumes. But on the other hand it dilutes the traditional notebook market which Intel dominates and has higher margins.

But it's funny to see that Intel can't downplay netbooks using its own Atom line of processors, but can only continue to promote it as "a must have gadget", essential for your everyday web-surfing needs.

A netbook is something that performs badly and is a little bit smaler than a notebook.

To me, if the netbook is capable of showing aeroglass and 1080p video, it's enough. I believe that those new Atoms SoC will be capable of that. Anything beyond that is silly. Casual gaming? Atom is so weak that it can't even keep pace with Ion, which is also weak. Small screen and no mouse (considering gaming on the move), will only make it worse
    Not to mention that iwhat I seek in a netbook is battery life. I won't trade half ot that for some fancy graphics that I wouldn't use. I'm looking forward these new Atom netbooks.

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    To me, if the netbook is capable of showing aeroglass and 1080p video, it's enough. I believe that those new Atoms SoC will be capable of that. Anything beyond that is silly. Casual gaming? Atom is so weak that it can't even keep pace with Ion, which is also weak. Small screen and no mouse (considering gaming on the move), will only make it worse
    Not to mention that iwhat I seek in a netbook is battery life. I won't trade half ot that for some fancy graphics that I wouldn't use. I'm looking forward these new Atom netbooks.
    That's where NVIDIA came in, the current generation of Atoms will only pair with GMA500 which is a shame in graphics and video performance.

Ion can do full 1080p video hardware decoding and some decent graphics on your Vista netbook, which is enough for some light 3D gaming.
    That's the message of Ion chipset.

So Intel allowed broadcom video decoding chip as an option, because originally Intel didn't expect people requiring 1080p video playback which is not in the definition of netbook in Intel's dictionary, back then YouTube don't have HD, until recently with 720p and a few weeks ago 1080p service. That's why Intel will need to upgrade its netbook platform.

You can see it's a win for Ion for changing the netbook platform landscape, but most OEMs (especially smaller ones) feared Intel, so you can see only large OEMs have Ion netbooks/nettops.

Actually I think netboks which have the Broadcom chip is a better choice to wait for a higher speed bin of Atom processors...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    It has a screen that can show a 1080p video, it is well into the notebook cost range based on screen cost alone.

-Charlie

My own two cents...

Any PC bought in 2009/10 should be able to play HD-material. Be it a netbook, a notebook or whatever you want to call it. It should also have a digital output - hdmi or whatever suits you, strangely they are more or less compatible (a glitch of the industry?).

Personally I don't care if you can play games with it - not even 'solitaire'. But I definitely want to be able to play that HD movie, trailer, clip, or whatever else the media industry is throwing at me. How about 'oh wait a sec, I need to change computer to display that...'. That's simply ridiculous.

Even a meagher Z500 with Poulsbo plays HD material painlessly using DXVA - as long as your drivers support it. Not even talking about ION, which is probably one of nVidia's best moves in recent times (OK, that one was easy).

To me, the ideal netbook has a HD Ready display (non glare!), obviously HD decoding, and is always connected (Ethernet, Wireless, UMTS). Optionally it uses a SSD, and of course it has an hdmi-connector.

To quote Top Gear (wiki it), 'how hard could that be?'