Page 258 of 372 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268308358 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 3718

Thread: Vega 10, Vega 11. What we know

Thuban had 6 cores and not 4 as your Llano. Which, BTW, was a great chip, first time I OCed a notebook

First, remember how much 7970 improved from review drivers to drivers after a year.

Second, that Fiji driver is going to be a lot more stable than whatever AMD has for Vega, and there's not much point in releasing buggy drivers for a "pro" card. Pro card should be focused on stability, not performance. And these prosumers AMD are targeting would end up beta testing brand new Vega gaming drivers. Not what they want.
    Within 27% margin of error and 3mm off my estimate of something 4mm, good enough to predict the future

8-bit overflow
    Has anyone seen the GN teardown? That Steve really fumbled his way through it, it was really entertaining. "Where's the VRAM, oh yeah HBM... world's smallest heatpipe (it's using a vapour chamber)... These fins provide cooling for the i/o ports..."
    He had a lot of trouble disassembling it, you'd think he'd of got in some practice (bought a load of old cards) before doing something like this. At least his die size measurement wasn't so atrocious but why didn't anyone just take a photo of the die with something in the shot for comparison, estimates that used the HBM as a reference were far more accurate.

Also why was he so smug throughout his review, it was as if he thought he was really sticking it to reddittors that have been giving him stick but he just comes across as condescending and pretentious. He just waffled on and kept repeating himself.

Hopefully AMD just delay RX launch if drivers still aren't ready, 20% over FE doesn't seem unreasonable given that FE is using old drivers (was mention that they could be 6 months old) which don't expose any of the new features or have any optimisations.

Even if Vega doesn't get massive gains from drivers it still seems like a great GPU; great for server, workstation, and, competitive in gaming (~1080 performance is still very fast). FE also looks like a great product.

I wonder if Apple & LiquidSky have anything to do with delays (potentially other contracts that had to be fulfilled too)?

Quote Originally Posted by Drashek View Post
    Even if Vega doesn't get massive gains from drivers it still seems like a great GPU; great for server, workstation, and, competitive in gaming (~1080 performance is still very fast). FE also looks like a great product.
    If even after updated drivers gaming Vega can only compete against gtx 1080, which is a lot smaller(314mm2 vs 484mm2) and has significantly lower power consumption, then I can't say It's a great produt from a gaming perspective.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    If even after updated drivers gaming Vega can only compete against gtx 1080, which is a lot smaller(314mm2 vs 484mm2) and has significantly lower power consumption, then I can't say It's a great produt from a gaming perspective.
    From a "gaming perspective" die size is actually irrelevant, price and performance are really the only two metrics that matter (power too sometimes but let's be honest HEDT really don't care). From a technical perspective I guess it is more interesting but it is a graphics compute architecture. "If" after driver updates (and that's a big "if") it still only competes with GP104 then you might say that it isn't a very good product from a technical or financial perspective but then you compare it to GP100 where is has ~20% more flops than a die that is ~20% bigger.
    Vega is kind of a one size fits all and it's actually a very good example (even if it only ever competes with the 1080 in gaming)

Has anyone seen the GN teardown? That Steve really fumbled his way through it, it was really entertaining.
    He was nervous because he spent $1000 on the card since review samples were not sent out.

He had a lot of trouble disassembling it, you'd think he'd of got in some practice (bought a load of old cards) before doing something like this.
    He tears down every card he reviews, he has plenty of practice.

Also why was he so smug throughout his review, it was as if he thought he was really sticking it to reddittors that have been giving him stick but he just comes across as condescending and pretentious. He just waffled on and kept repeating himself.
    I don't think he's pretentious, if you haven't watched many of his videos he may come off that way, but it's really just his style of trying to get straight to the point. He's not like a lot of other Youtubers with "personalities," he's pretty dry and to the point.

With regards to Reddit, he was trying to drive home the point that the card isn't meant for gamers and that everyone freaking out about the gaming performance should just calm down and wait to see what RX Vega brings. Which I completely agree with. People are jumping to conclusions because of this card, and it's become pretty clear why AMD kept saying "wait for RX Vega."

Steve's a smart guy and collects a lot of data that other reviewers don't. If you haven't watched some of their GPU reviews I highly recommend them, because he does the most in-depth testing of any reviewer I've seen yet.

I wonder if Apple & LiquidSky have anything to do with delays (potentially other contracts that had to be fulfilled too)?
    LiquidSky had their cards back in April or so.
    Apple doesn't need more than a few samples until Q4.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by rarson View Post
    He was nervous because he spent $1000 on the card since review samples were not sent out.

He tears down every card he reviews, he has plenty of practice.
    Plenty of practice yet he really struggled with this one. Why would he be looking for GDDR (almost as if there'd been no forethought) and how doesn't he know what a vapour chamber looks like? Why would he think the display connectors would need to be cooled? He really did not handle that card like he had spent his own money on it and was at all bothered.

I don't think he's pretentious, if you haven't watched many of his videos he may come off that way, but it's really just his style of trying to get straight to the point. He's not like a lot of other Youtubers with "personalities," he's pretty dry and to the point.
    It was his tone of voice and the snorting when he was discussing points that he had been pulled up on at r/AMD (even got in to a few exchanges with posters there); definitely a little condescending and pretentious, maybe it's just part of being young.

With regards to Reddit, he was trying to drive home the point that the card isn't meant for gamers and that everyone freaking out about the gaming performance should just calm down and wait to see what RX Vega brings. Which I completely agree with. People are jumping to conclusions because of this card, and it's become pretty clear why AMD kept saying "wait for RX Vega."
    That point was already being "driven home" by most of r/AMD it was just the shills / trolls that kept bringing up game performance. He also talked about it (game performance) a lot and even used it as a reference point for RX Vega gaming performance (right at the end of video). I would actually like to see a real review of the card (probably wouldn't even bench games). There was at least one instance of him saying something and then repeating it again with the words in a different order in the next breath.

Steve's a smart guy and collects a lot of data that other reviewers don't. If you haven't watched some of their GPU reviews I highly recommend them, because he does the most in-depth testing of any reviewer I've seen yet.
    Really I hear that phrase / term way too much, I don't think he is a smart guy he's just not stupid. Johnny Guru is really good, that guy inspires confidence and seems to know what he is talking about - very good review methodology!

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    LiquidSky had their cards back in April or so.
    Apple doesn't need more than a few samples until Q4.
    Are you aware of any other big contracts? Anything related to ML / server?

Why would he be looking for GDDR
    Again, because he tears apart every card he sees. He's used to seeing the chips there. It was a brain fart.

It was his tone of voice and the snorting when he was discussing points that he had been pulled up on at r/AMD (even got in to a few exchanges with posters there)
    I wouldn't know, I don't use Reddit.

Really I hear that phrase / term way too much, I don't think he is a smart guy he's just not stupid. Johnny Guru is really good, that guy inspires confidence and seems to know what he is talking about - very good review methodology!
    Amazing that you can judge his intelligence from one video. Perhaps, as I previously stated, you should take a few minutes to watch an actual review video of his.