Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Be Better People

There is a good news. God loves us and wants us to be happy.

He will help us to live in peace, goodness.
    Obviously the human goverments cannot solve the problems with human suffering, so the only solution is that He takes the control.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post

Obviously the human goverments cannot solve the problems with human suffering, so the only solution is that He takes the control.
    Funny how god only talks to a handful of individuals that get to decide "his will" vs just talking to everyone at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

livebriand, thankyou for the link to what became a short internet sensation. Of course, Stephen Fry nearly got immolated or burnt at the stake for blasphemy there, and no worse place than Ireland for the religious mumbo-jumbo which denied schoolkids a "catholic" (small c) education for centuries. Though I found his objections to the kind or just God concept quite reasonable.

Why does God give innocent kids bone cancer and leukaemia? Why doesn't he simply fire a thunderbolt at terrible marxists like Guardian-reading boom or UK Labour party stooge Jeremy Corbyn?

Now I did notice you just posted a link without venturing much of an opinion. I would hope for better from you, and I'm sure you will learn to just shoot the breeze more in the future. In fact, AFAIK, humans have tremendous inbuilt kindness or altruism for the most part. We like to help others. Even strangers.

What is religion or faith or even a sense of luck? Possibly just asking yourself "What is the worst that can happen?". My discovery of ALL good faiths is that they all come down to the same thing:

1: See the World for what it REALLY is.
    2: Act to further your goals to improve things.
    3: Keep faith that even if it gets painful and you suffer, you might endure and have made things better.

I actually find most of my fellow humans are really good people. Of course, some are hopelessly out of touch with reality, but we'll be alright. It's evolution.
    Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.

Quote Originally Posted by system7 View Post
    Why does God give innocent kids bone cancer and leukaemia? Why doesn't he simply fire a thunderbolt at terrible marxists like Guardian-reading boom or UK Labour party stooge Jeremy Corbyn?
    Because we have so high confidence in our abilities that we no longer listen and follow His Words.
    That's exactly why Adam and Eve, and thus the whole humanrace, was expelled from the Garden of Eden.
    Adam and Eve chose to listen the snake, and ate the forbidden fruit.

And I hope that you also know the story of Devil. He was in the beginning an angel but he began to lie and to pretend that he was better than the humans because God created him from fire, and not from clay like us...

And nowadays the Beast in the face of bad people and the Devil have terrible influence on humankind.

There will be a battle called Armagedon which will end this.

I'm waiting for unicorns to take over the world and make it a better place. That's much more likely than any form of God doing the same.
    Speaking for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by laurent View Post
    I'm waiting for unicorns to take over the world and make it a better place. That's much more likely than any form of God doing the same.
    I'd think we have already seen what happens when things get spiced up with god flavor. Sadly, us human seem to be in need of another massive culling again.
    "One solution that seems to have been reasonably effective in the past is that of public ridicule." - Alex Smith (2014, Nethack 4 about game balancing)
    "VR has been the future of gaming for the last 25 years, and will continue to be for another 25 years..." - NTMBK (2016)

What thread are we in? Ah, yes, being better people...

I think it was Carl Jung, the great psychologist remembered alongside Sigmund Freud with his ID or subconscious, who said he never cured a crazy patient without getting them to believe in a higher power.

Obviously Alcoholics Anonymous start with the same premise with the 12 point way. Now Religion and Politics are the things that people never agree about. Perhaps they are both nuts. My own favourite "Seer" was Jiddu Krishnamurti. He suggested we are all terribly conditioned by Society and Respectability and rarely think for ourselves. How to get free of all that?

Certainly not by studying fictitious Unicorns, frequently depicted as chained in the UK's heraldry:
    Unicorns were thought to be ferocious and wild, but they became placid if they encountered a virgin. This was the only way to capture them.
    Perhaps we Men are really just simple souls who like nothing better than a good rough scrap and a bloody nose: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

Perhaps the Stoics, like Marcus Aurelius, or the Cynics had something right, in suggesting that you are what you most think about.

Perhaps being better people is the wrong approach. My own view is that we should live our lives and hope to leave the World a better place than we found it. It doesn't even need much money to make things better. Lots of good things are free, like your local library and the great outdoors. Cleaning windows, tidying up mess, planting a few seedlings, hoovering a few rooms, changing a few lightbulbs for energy-saving and Dark Skies at night. Just get on with it. Puts a smile on your face.
    Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth, UK.

Guys, I have one serious trouble understanding something

What does it mean when someone tells you "you are no one"? Does it mean that the opinion of that person is at such level that they wouldn't differentiate if you exist or not? And if this person is your colleague and partner who otherwise wanted you to stay close in order to work with them?

8-bit overflow
    Guys, I have one serious trouble understanding something :o :(

What does it mean when someone tells you "you are no one"? Does it mean that the opinion of that person is at such level that they wouldn't differentiate if you exist or not? And if this person is your colleague and partner who otherwise wanted you to stay close in order to work with them?
    Some context would help. Probably not as extreme as them saying that it would make no difference to them whether you existed or not but rather that you are not part of the "equation" so to speak.