Page 33 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: RYZEN (including Pinnacle Ridge/Peak Ridge? )

Quote Originally Posted by DCO View Post
    APUs next quarter, 50% more cpu, 40% more GPU, 50% less power.
    A perfect choice for laptops with low resolution or 1080p non gaming laptops if the OEMs avoid discrete gpus.
    I wonder which Vendor would love to ditch gGPUs without ditching performance or drivers...

Something smells fruity? Perhaps.
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiD View Post
    Do we expect higher than 8 cores for the AM4? I mean ever?
    I think so but it will always stay 1 die with 2 channels.
    I don't see why AMD would not support AM4 when their next basic die is 12 cores instead of 8 in a few years.

I'm actually surprised that AMD will launch Zen2 and Zen3 on 7nm before 2020.
    "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
    [Albert Einstein]

I would expect 7nm at the end of the next year or beginning of 2019.
    Zen 3 perhaps in 2020 using 7nm and UV lithography.

yeah. I think AMD showing Zen of 14+ may end up having a clockspeed bump, or power decease around end of 17/start 18.

Or they'll just lower actual power consumption without changing specifications.
    -Q

According to the slide Zen3 will already be released some time before 2020.
    There is a big difference between a Zen2 14nm in Q1 next year and releasing an 7nm Zen 2 in that same year. I'm pretty sure you have to decide what you are going to do, you can't bet both. And I don't think they plan to wait 2 year for an updated die.

She said a big team is working on it right now, I don't think 2019 is an option for Zen 2.
    It's not like they have to make a new great CPU they have to shrink it and add improvements. intel is also doing that in 1 year time, and they are lazy.
    Due to the leapfrogging design teams, Zen 2 developers aren't slowed down by the release of Zen and its software updates, while they still get the feedback of the other team to point out weaknesses of Zen.
    [Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by testbug00 View Post
    yeah. I think AMD showing Zen of 14+ may end up having a clockspeed bump, or power decease around end of 17/start 18.

Or they'll just lower actual power consumption without changing specifications.
    Maybe the APU's will be 14nm+ (not Zeppelin)
    [Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by Kedas View Post
    There is a big difference between a Zen2 14nm in Q1 next year and releasing an 7nm Zen 2 in that same year.
    That should be a Zen refresh, on 14nm+.
    Zen 2 on first generation 7nm.
    Zen 3 on second generation 7nm+.

That's actually amazing. If AMD keeps the SP3r2 socket for Zen 2, we will have the option for a 24C/48T monster Ryzen 9 2998X... or Ryzen 10 3998X, however they name it.
    SP3r2 socket is nice because if you are on a budget, you can start with the entry-level for the platform CPU + RAM (10C/20T + DDR4 dual channel), and then with time upgrade to something spectacular like 24C/48T + DDR4 quad channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedas View Post
    According to the slide Zen3 will already be released some time before 2020.
    There is a big difference between a Zen2 14nm in Q1 next year and releasing an 7nm Zen 2 in that same year. I'm pretty sure you have to decide what you are going to do, you can't bet both. And I don't think they plan to wait 2 year for an updated die.
    is GloFo, or any foundry, going to have good enough yields to ship die into consumer markets profitably 4Q2018?

I'm going to guess TSMC capacity will be eaten up by Apple, with Possibly some Volta+1 designs from Nvidia that cost more than a wafer per card.

No idea where Samsung will be on 7nm. I imagine they'll favor themselves and Qualcomm for various reasons.

Zen2 may end up just being a pipecleaner for Zen3. For reasons outside of AMD's control.

I certainly hope not. I hope for a 2Q (high end, lower demand parts) and 3Q (mass market). Which I think is reasonable.
    -Q

I hope for a 2Q (high end, lower demand parts) and 3Q (mass market). Which I think is reasonable.
    I can agree with you about that quaters if you mean Zen 14nm+ in 2018 or Zen 2 7nm in 2019. Or Zen 3 on 7nm+ in 2020.
    Computer chips are not really made using cat DNA and bulldozers don't even have DNA.

is GloFo, or any foundry, going to have good enough yields to ship die into consumer markets profitably 4Q2018?
    Probably depends on how far they're willing to extend the definition of "7 nm". If GloFo uses a definition similar to Intel's 10nm then yes, they might manage to be within a year of Intel, but with a different label.
    Fear leads to uncertainty.
    Uncertainty leads to doubt.
    Doubt leads to Intel.

I sense much fear in Intel.