Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by muziqaz View Post
    Are you sure about 512b datapaths? Realworldtech forum has a thread where it's being discussed about Intel pushing wider AVX without proper "infrastructure" around it.
    Nope, not sure at all That particularly bit is just me making an assumption based on how they handled AVX2 in Haswell. They might well have stuck with narrower datapaths, similar to what they did in Sandy Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
    Nope, not sure at all That particularly bit is just me making an assumption based on how they handled AVX2 in Haswell. They might well have stuck with narrower datapaths, similar to what they did in Sandy Bridge.
    Have a look at RWT forum, there is a thread somewhere recently talking about it. Quite interesting read. Follow the trail of Linus posts

Threadripper is up to 16 cores and 40 or 36 lanes available for slots (4 lanes to chipset and 4 or 8 lanes for M.2 NVMe).

However, is there anything stopping AMD from marketing 4-chip or 3-chip Naples to enthusiasts and offer various core counts? Imagine a 24-core monster with four 6-core CCX units at ~160 W TDP.
    Eight memory channels and 64 PCIe lanes...
    There are two types of people: Those who make backups and those who will.

Opinions presented in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Sorry for the brain fart. 64 lanes per one Threadripper. Somehow I forgot the lane arrangement for TR and imagined a scaled-down Epyc, or something like that.

And from the pictures, it's clear that Epyc uses the same socket as Threadripper. I'm wondering how memory lines are arranged on Threadripper vs. Epyc. Imagine if Threadripper had four channels and two complete sets of lines per channel. So if you put a TR in the socket, it only serves four channels, but allows two DIMMs per channel, but if you put Epyc in there, it lets you have eight-channel memory instead.
    There are two types of people: Those who make backups and those who will.

Opinions presented in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by NTMBK View Post
    SKX is pretty dramatically different to SKL. It has a cache hierarchy closer to Bulldozer than Kabylake (big fat L2, exclusive L3 almost the same size), AVX-512 and presumably the 512-bit datapaths to feed it, and it may be on a mesh fabric instead of a ring. I won't presume anything about its IPC until I see benchmarks!
    Yeah, I was reading about the cache hierarchy yesterday, it definitely sounds like it should impact IPC in a positive way.

My sources told me Intel could release a v2 edition of Socket 2066.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-englis...he-socket-2066
    Everything I post in these or any other forums, or anywhere else online for that matter, is strictly my personal opinion.

Bits And Chips Site
    Bits And Chips - ENG Twitter

Another Intel socket, this is fine.
    Android is not an OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alps View Post
    Another Intel socket, this is fine.
    Talking about 2066v2?
    That's ok, I never wanted to buy 18 core Intel CPU, I only needed 4 cores for my gaming !!!11!

Quote Originally Posted by Fottemberg View Post
    My sources told me Intel could release a v2 edition of Socket 2066.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-englis...he-socket-2066
    Anyone else thinking 14, 16 and 18 cores are a rush job.
    Good luck to those who buy it (if they ever can).
    "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."
    [Albert Einstein]

The whole thing is a rush job only put out into productions when their spies got info about Threadripper. Gigabyte mentioned that they did not have enough time to validate thunderbolt connections