Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Epyc CPU

Epyc CPU

well, that certainly is a name AMD choose.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV2L64zC4dQ
    -Q

Yikes. What a goofy name. I hope it's awesome...

First impressions are rarely good on these things, but look at how fast Ryzen grew on everybody.

I like it. except it reminds me of EPIC computer...

I'm sure it will be more successful than Intel's EPIC computing.
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by livebriand View Post
    First impressions are rarely good on these things, but look at how fast Ryzen grew on everybody.
    I agree with this, I don't exactly hate it, but I do like that it's different, it's definitely distancing itself from the maligned Opteron branding.

How in the world did they decide with such an obnoxious name. And its a server lineup.
    Intel Xeon vs AMD EPYC. Yeah, you heard that right.
    Pascal = 10 x Maxwell.
    But a whole lot!

I agree with naming, not needed for grown ups market at all. They could have used this for x399 platform CPUs and left opterons for datacenters

They may have felt that "Opteron" was too permanently associated with "not as good as Xeon" and so needed a new name.

EPYC may not be the best choice of name, but ... it might be genius. The audacity of it will likely get people talking about it, whereas yet another Opteron or other safe name would have been largely ignored.

I don't think it's coincidence that they chose a 4-letter word, either. Keeps their branding simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BioSehnsucht View Post
    They may have felt that "Opteron" was too permanently associated with "not as good as Xeon" and so needed a new name.

EPYC may not be the best choice of name, but ... it might be genius. The audacity of it will likely get people talking about it, whereas yet another Opteron or other safe name would have been largely ignored.
    Two syllables is a really good length for a name for a wide audience. I loved my Opterons but the name is too long and odd. AMD did well with the Ryzen name too, it incorporated Zen, which everyone was already familiar with, and spiced it up a bit.

Kind of neat how AMD went with 8 core and smaller Ryzen (sounds like rising), then move to 10 to 16 core Epyc (epic). Kind of weird to see AMD with halfway competent marketing. Notice too how Vega is just two syllables and they're going to use that for marketing too.
    Within 27% margin of error and 3mm off my estimate of something 4mm, good enough to predict the future