Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNES Classic $80 launches 9/29

Quote Originally Posted by London Dave View Post
    Why have Nintendo limited supply of these consoles so much? Don't they like money or something?

As an owner of a Retropie setup, it's of little interest. Can't deny the cool factor though
    They don't want to compete with their current consoles. It's a limited run with limited games.
    I suppose it is directed to parents who don't want to waste a lot of money for a console with 1 game (near 400$ for the Switch), it makes a lot of sense, 80$, lots of games, 2 gamepads and the kids learn about Nintendo's IP. But it will end mainly in the hands of fanboys and scalpers.

Quote Originally Posted by London Dave View Post
    Why have Nintendo limited supply of these consoles so much? Don't they like money or something?

As an owner of a Retropie setup, it's of little interest. Can't deny the cool factor though
    I view this as an $80 amiibo that just happens to play SNES games.

Selling these classic boxes seems to be the only way to get pirates to pay for their IP vs just stealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by boom View Post
    Selling these classic boxes seems to be the only way to get pirates to pay for their IP vs just stealing it.
    Right, because nobody has ever paid for their 30 year-old IP via Virtual Console.

And pirates won't buy that thing, why pay 80$ for a console with a pair of SNES games?
    They could download a torrent with all the roms and emulate them in any current PC and most of them interested on SNES games already did that long ago.

** trolling removed **
    Ask me about Jesus.

8-bit overflow
    FFS....Chrono Trigger missing. No Zelda. No FF IV-VI . No Mega Man X2/X3. No BoF 1/2.
    No Lufia. No Harvest Moon. No 7th Saga. No Castlevania. No Demon's Crest.

I could go on and on but the games available on this is abysmal. You are better off buying a cheap old PC and running EPSXE on it.

There's a fairly strong chance that this one will be modded like the NES classic, and all those games will become available. And likely the NES emulator with its games from the NES classic.

I think they could have stuck a few more games on, but I guess licensing becomes an issue for the third party ones.

I think these classics were a lot more successful than Nintendo realized and they're going to leave games for a v2. Imagine what Nintendo could get away with if they added Chrono Trigger, a Megaman, etc.

It's worked a lot better for recycling old games than the Virtual Console did.
    Within 27% margin of error and 3mm off my estimate of something 4mm, good enough to predict the future

Quote Originally Posted by JeeBee View Post
    There's a fairly strong chance that this one will be modded like the NES classic, and all those games will become available. And likely the NES emulator with its games from the NES classic.

I think they could have stuck a few more games on, but I guess licensing becomes an issue for the third party ones.
    I'm just PO, said said earlier,that they have exclusives by region.

Exclusives by region for games released decades ago.

I suppose it could be a licensing issue, but I recall at least one of them was a Fire Emblem game, which I am sure Nintendo could get license for sale for.

Guess they did not want to translate them.

Either way, given the missing games on the non-Japan one includes some of the ones I am the most interested in, I won't be buying it... with those 5 games at $100 I would have.

Oh well.
    -Q

Quote Originally Posted by rarson View Post
    Right, because nobody has ever paid for their 30 year-old IP via Virtual Console.
    I didn't mention people who pay. I said pirates who think downloading a ROM without owning a physical copy is okay. These "classic" systems are the only way to convince those people to pay for those ROMs i.e. "it's neat/collectible/etc."