Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like FERMI may run a little hott under the hood.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looks like FERMI may run a little hott under the hood.

nVidia reccomended enclosures?

Special ducting for FERMI based cards?

EXTRA case cooling?

Certified cases?

WOW, looks like 8800GTX all over again.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/the...case,9385.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...hics,9384.html

I typically do not like Tom's, but these short blurbs raise some eyebrows for me.

TOTALLY blows the "leaked benchmarks" with 55c load temp out of the water.

Genius?!?! Now you have to buy an nVidia case just to run Fermi ? Way to squeeze more dollars from fanboys!

Though no firm temperatures were revealed, manufacturers said that users need to be extra careful about how they setup the innards of their gaming chassis.
    With the warning to OEM builders about case layouts for Fermi, DIYers may run into unexpected difficulties and frustrations.

A rep from one manufacturer said that Fermi-based cards will run hotter than the hottest ATI Radeon HD 5000 series.
    Does that mean the lowest level Fermi-based card is hotter than the 5970?

Quote Originally Posted by oettinger View Post

WOW, looks like 8800GTX all over again.
    I'll have you know that its been subzero (F) where I live for nearly two weeks now (very atypical), and my 8800GTX + Folding@home has been keeping my room nice and warm.

No, seriously.
    This sig brought to you by the makers of ePeen++

---( Phenom II X4 940BE || ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe || 8GB G.Skill PC2-6400 DDR2 || eVGA 8800GTX & eVGA 8600GT (Quad Monitors) || Vertex 2 120GB SSD & 1TB Caviar Black HDD || Das Keyboard Professional || Logitech G5 Mouse || Fractal Design Define R3 Case || Seasonic 700HM PSU )---

subzero eh? well here it is currently 36.8C (98.29F) and the next few days will prolly top 42C (107.6F). Remind me not to get one of these so-called 8800GTX-mini-baconators..... at least till winter kicks in in 5 months

>intel 4004
    Consider this as a hint to the length of the final version of Fermi-based GeForce (gaming) card, other than that, it means nothing important actually.

I posted this a few days ago

I hope they have it in the nvidia thermaltake case!
    http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news/2...element_v_case

Damn it must be huge and hot to require a special case just to run the card!
    No need for heat - fermi will heat the house (not to mention polar ice caps)

I do realize it is just marketing.

can it have ac? I guess that is liquid nitrogen!

Chill out SoundsOff. Nvidia will make great card from Fermi.

OK it will be hugely overpriced, but they will make you think that its "incredible (great) price".

They will make you buy one.
    WP BENCH 2 - Windows Phone 7 Mango benchmark
    ComputeMark v2 - DX11 CS Benchmark

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Varga View Post
    Chill out SoundsOff. Nvidia will make great card from Fermi.

OK it will be hugely overpriced, but they will make you think that its "incredible (great) price".

They will make you buy one.
    Yeaa. But there is limits to the brand value of a gfx card. It is not corn flakes or coca cola.

When you buy a card, you ask you uncle what to buy, he ask his best friend, and the best friend ask his uncle that work as a shop assistant. The shop assistant is a nerd that reads Tomshardware, and he owns a 5870 because he can read numbers him selves.

2 years end of life, if NV doesnt give better objective value.

300W+ single gpu gives better than 5870 less than 5970

Learn French using Fermi !!! -ha-ha 550mm roling on. What a show.

http://www.pcworld.fr/2010/01/08/mat...rtante/468101/

L?ing?nieur responsable nous a par ailleurs donn? la consommation de Fermi : 300 watts ! Il s?agit l? de la limite autoris?e par la norme PCI-Express 2.0 et pour rappel, Fermi n?est dot? que d?un seul GPU ! Retard, consommation de 300 watts, chauffe importante, autant d??l?ments qui nous font dire que Fermi a beau ?tre un bijou technologique, il semble d?ores et d?j? mal n?. Il se susurre d?ailleurs que la plus puissante des Fermi ?galerait une Radeon HD 5870 mais pas la 5970. Pour aller au-del? de la 5870, il faudrait augmenter les fr?quences et? d?passer alors la limite des 300 watts. La vie de Fermi pourrait d?s lors ?tre courte et la nouvelle g?n?ration arriverait nettement plus vite? A confirmer dans les mois ? venir.

8-bit overflow
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    Learn French using Fermi !!! -ha-ha 550mm roling on. What a show.

http://www.pcworld.fr/2010/01/08/mat...rtante/468101/

L?ing?nieur responsable nous a par ailleurs donn? la consommation de Fermi : 300 watts ! Il s?agit l? de la limite autoris?e par la norme PCI-Express 2.0 et pour rappel, Fermi n?est dot? que d?un seul GPU ! Retard, consommation de 300 watts, chauffe importante, autant d??l?ments qui nous font dire que Fermi a beau ?tre un bijou technologique, il semble d?ores et d?j? mal n?. Il se susurre d?ailleurs que la plus puissante des Fermi ?galerait une Radeon HD 5870 mais pas la 5970. Pour aller au-del? de la 5870, il faudrait augmenter les fr?quences et? d?passer alors la limite des 300 watts. La vie de Fermi pourrait d?s lors ?tre courte et la nouvelle g?n?ration arriverait nettement plus vite? A confirmer dans les mois ? venir.
    The writer is occasionally on the forum I am a moderator on, to talk about hardware of course (www.hardware.fr is the site), and also cars (he has a nice Jaguar).

Two things seem odd to me, I'll maybe try to ask him directly. Was it really 300W, or something like "up to 300W", or "need 8+6pins". Remember that GTX280/285 need that also, but they are far from 300W.

The other is the last part : "La vie de Fermi pourrait d?s lors ?tre courte et la nouvelle g?n?ration arriverait nettement plus vite? A confirmer dans les mois ? venir."

That means : "Fermi's life might then be very short and the new generation would come quickly...To be confirmed in the coming months".

That's nonsense, nvidia just can't have another GPU coming quickly. The only thing remotely possible would be a shrink, but for that to happen, 32nm/28nm bulk would have to be nearly ready, and we know it isn't.

So is it a wild guess (a misinformed one) from the writer, or someone else ?