Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 3D Vision Surround - mess, huge mess

>intel 4004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahakon View Post
    Ask yourself the question why ATI/AMD was capable of supporting 2 monitor setups while using crossfire for many years already, where as nVidia only added support for the second screen last year. Now, when AMD comes with Eyefinity, they all of a sudden, out of the blue, manage to support even a third screen. Makes you wonder if they really could do it before already, in the sense of actually trying to think out of the box.
    Not correct. AMD's Eyefinitiy has new hardware inside the Cypress/Juniper/Redwood GPUs, on previous generations GPUs it only have 2 output pipeline and doesn't have 6 DisplayPort controllers for 6 output.

So it's not something AMD could do it already before the launch of Radeon HD 5000 series.

P.S. And AMD supports 8 monitors in CrossFireX mode, that was already supported when the Spider platform launched with Catalyst 8.3, albeit not the same as a "Single Large Surface" as in Eyefinity setups.

Quote Originally Posted by bh192012 View Post
    Reportedly the GT200's will (yet to be benched in the real world yet) be able to do 3 screens in SLI rigs just fine. But not while also doing 3D.... unless the game is older.
    GT200's can do it too yes, but only in SLI-setup. You need 2 cards, where the second takes care for one of the three screens.

Quote Originally Posted by 265586888 View Post
    Not correct. AMD's Eyefinitiy has new hardware inside the Cypress/Juniper/Redwood GPUs, on previous generations GPUs it only have 2 output pipeline and doesn't have 6 DisplayPort controllers for 6 output.

So it's not something AMD could do it already before the launch of Radeon HD 5000 series.

P.S. And AMD supports 8 monitors in CrossFireX mode, that was already supported when the Spider platform launched with Catalyst 8.3, albeit not the same as a "Single Large Surface" as in Eyefinity setups.

I know the multi-display support in older generations is not anywhere close to Eyefinity. It's what I stated. My point was that if nVidia, who couldn't even get a second monitor working on SLI-setups period, now out of the blue can support 3 screens on their SLI-setup.

What one could wonder, is if AMD could get similar support in their drivers. I seriously doubt they would try to do so, as there is no real reason (you want to sell your new cards with a unique selling point as company of course). I am as well aware of the technics behind eyefinity, thus why one can mount 6 screens on the 57xx+ cards, but not on the old series.

I wasn't aware that a crossfire-setup could run 8 screens, I never read that before. Running 8 screens with 4 cards in the system, but not as crossfire-setup, is a different situation of which I was aware that it is possible.
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

>intel 4004
    GT200's can do it too yes, but only in SLI-setup. You need 2 cards, where the second takes care for one of the three screens.

I know the multi-display support in older generations is not anywhere close to Eyefinity. It's what I stated. My point was that if nVidia, who couldn't even get a second monitor working on SLI-setups period, now out of the blue can support 3 screens on their SLI-setup.

What one could wonder, is if AMD could get similar support in their drivers. I seriously doubt they would try to do so, as there is no real reason (you want to sell your new cards with a unique selling point as company of course). I am as well aware of the technics behind eyefinity, thus why one can mount 6 screens on the 57xx+ cards, but not on the old series.

I wasn't aware that a crossfire-setup could run 8 screens, I never read that before. Running 8 screens with 4 cards in the system, but not as crossfire-setup, is a different situation of which I was aware that it is possible.
    Because NVIDIA already did support multiple monitors in a SLI setup in Quadro drivers, they just held it back until "Big Bang II", and now they just add the support for the third one with a little 3D gimmick only.

And AMD drivers already support multiple monitors in CrossFireX mode starting like in Catalyst 8.3 (suppoting all Radeon HD 3000/4000 series), and the support hasn't been changed since then. But Eyefinity support over CrossFireX setup is still in the works for Windows OS, if I remember correctly.

They managed to fix eyefinity-support for the HD5970 to some extend, but for 'normal' crossfire-setups it indeed still is in the works.
    Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H||AMD A8-3850||Corsair XMS3 PC3-16000(2000MHz)||Sapphire Radeon HD6670||Fractal Design Define Mini
    Life, it all of a sudden comes back to you and you have no clue who it is.

Administrator
    Does the NV setup present a single surface to Windows?

-Charlie

>intel 4004
    NVIDIA didn't mention any terms similar to "Single Large Surface" but the phrase "...combines multiple displays to act as one larger display..." in GF100 architecture whitepaper, and by judging you can use two older cards (GeForce GTX 2xx series) to do this, I would say that probably means no, it's the same thing as multi-monitors on SLI setups but this time one more monitor is supported (on the second card) and it has 3D gimmicks added to it.

But then there's one more limitation, maximum resolutions of diaplays:
    For 3D Surround mode (120 Hz displays): 1920x1080;
    For non-3D Surround mode (similar to ATI Eyefinity 3x1 landscape mode, 60 Hz displays): 2560x1600.

They managed to fix eyefinity-support for the HD5970 to some extend, but for 'normal' crossfire-setups it indeed still is in the works.
    It's been available for over a month in the Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...912Hotfix.aspx

>intel 4004
    But is the number of supported displays still 3 (maximum 6 for the Eyefinity6 edition which still not released), even if it's a quad CrossFireX setup in Eyefinity mode?

If it's still 3 but not 12, then I must say there's still work to do...

Administrator
    Windows hard limits you to 4 displays currently.

-Charlie