Sea Islands is not going to be a 2012 product, it is looking like a March 2013 release for now. Things could of course change, but that is unlikely given what the card is. CI is a 28nm evolution of the current 7xxx line of cards, think optimizations rather than massively new features.
As far as performance goes, AMD was promising AIBs roughly a 30% speed boost from the new silicon a few months back. That we hear is fairly optimistic, with more measured sources saying +15% is more likely. AMD is power bound and die size equals cost, so what you are looking at is process improvements and algorithm optimizations rather than any new big bangs.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- iPhones bend and PCs are awful for the same reason - Sep 26, 2014
- Intel buys into Spreadtrum - Sep 25, 2014
- ARM ups the embedded contoller game with the new M7 core - Sep 23, 2014
- Analysis: Intel Contra-Revenue league battles heating up - Sep 23, 2014
- VESA puts Displayport1.3 into USB-C - Sep 22, 2014