Sea Islands is not going to be a 2012 product, it is looking like a March 2013 release for now. Things could of course change, but that is unlikely given what the card is. CI is a 28nm evolution of the current 7xxx line of cards, think optimizations rather than massively new features.
As far as performance goes, AMD was promising AIBs roughly a 30% speed boost from the new silicon a few months back. That we hear is fairly optimistic, with more measured sources saying +15% is more likely. AMD is power bound and die size equals cost, so what you are looking at is process improvements and algorithm optimizations rather than any new big bangs.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Another Intel memory code name pops up - May 20, 2015
- AMD finally talks about HBM memory - May 19, 2015
- Disco makes hexagonal and non-regular chips possible - May 18, 2015
- Qualcomm refreshes it’s IoT device lines - May 14, 2015
- Avago’s PEX9700 turns the PLX PCIe3 switch into a fabric - May 12, 2015