Sea Islands is not going to be a 2012 product, it is looking like a March 2013 release for now. Things could of course change, but that is unlikely given what the card is. CI is a 28nm evolution of the current 7xxx line of cards, think optimizations rather than massively new features.
As far as performance goes, AMD was promising AIBs roughly a 30% speed boost from the new silicon a few months back. That we hear is fairly optimistic, with more measured sources saying +15% is more likely. AMD is power bound and die size equals cost, so what you are looking at is process improvements and algorithm optimizations rather than any new big bangs.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- What do megadatacenters pay for CPUs? - Nov 19, 2014
- Intel ‘talks about’ Knights Landing and Omni-Something - Nov 17, 2014
- Marvell adds PXA1908 and PXA1938 64-bit LTE SOCs to the mix - Nov 17, 2014
- Intel adds M.2 form factors to S3500 enterprise SSDs - Nov 11, 2014
- A long look at the new Imagination 7-Series GPUs - Nov 11, 2014