PROMISE PROMISED US they would deliver SAS 6Gb/s RAID cards in short order, and at Computex, they did. There were two 8 channel SAS cards shown off, one internal and one external.
The two cards on display were both powered by PMC-Sierra’s PM8011 SRC, an 8 channel 6Gbps RAID-On-Chip (ROC) controller. This is significant because it greatly decreases part count, board space, and in general, cost of the controller. As you can see, there is only one IC, one flash chip (likely a 64Mb part), and two DRAMs.
Promise gets SASsy
On top is the internal variant, the bottom one is external, and both have a buzzer that will likely go off and annoy many an admin. Not much more to say, you can buy them, they most likely work, and fit in an 8x PCIe slot. Buy three, and you can laugh at the poor sods stuck using SATA at the next lan party.S|A
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- AMD shrinks GPUs to 12nm with the Radeon RX590 - Nov 15, 2018
- Coolit water cools Cascade-AP CPUs - Nov 14, 2018
- Intel tries to pretend they have 5G silicon with the XMM 8160 - Nov 12, 2018
- AMD’s Rome is indeed a monster - Nov 9, 2018
- Intel announces Cascade Lake-AP MCM - Nov 5, 2018