The PS4 has turned in to the XBox, sans 360, and the XBox Next has become the PS3, Sony has already won the next war. The reasons for this may not be obvious until the XBox hardware is unveiled, so let’s do a bit of that now.
SemiAccurate already told you about the PS4 being x86 well over a year ago, and that the PS4 will pummel the XBox Next/720 in every relevant way. Short story, Sony wins the next round and Microsoft looses, painfully, definitively, and on merit. Many people pointed out that the raw numbers we presented in the last article don’t necessarily tell the entire story, the PS3 was more powerful than the XBox 360 and XBox won this round. That is exactly the point, once you know a little more about the upcoming architectures you will understand why raw numbers are only the beginning of Microsoft’s next generation pain.
Note: The following is for professional and student level subscribers.
Disclosures: Charlie Demerjian and Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc. have no consulting relationships, investment relationships, or hold any investment positions with any of the companies mentioned in this report.
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Multicoreware launches H.265 encoders and decoders - Apr 1, 2015
- Intel talks about Knights Landing architecture - Mar 31, 2015
- Gigabyte’s ARM servers represent a sea change in the market - Mar 30, 2015
- VESA shows off working USB-C Alt Mode with Displayport - Mar 24, 2015
- UzBrain’s Rail Gun turns a toy weapon into an FPS controller - Mar 18, 2015