The rumors of AMD splitting up were the hot topic yesterday and are something SemiAccurate has been following for several weeks. Things started out with a Reuters story that lacks much of the details we have been hearing.
If you go to the original source at Reuters, there are two main points to the story, splitting up the company into CPU and GPU based children and that the process is at a very early stage. Of the two, one is right, that being in the very early stages part, the rest is not accurate according to our sources. Lets take a look at what we have been hearing for the last month or so, and why it makes sense or as the case may be, doesn’t.
Note: The following is analysis for professional level subscribers only.
Disclosures: Charlie Demerjian and Stone Arch Networking Services, Inc. have no consulting relationships, investment relationships, or hold any investment positions with any of the companies mentioned in this report.
Latest posts by Charlie Demerjian (see all)
- Intel shows off 10nm 112Gbps SerDes - Mar 12, 2019
- Intel releases Compute Express Link spec - Mar 11, 2019
- Qualcomm rolls out a second gen 5G modem called X55 - Feb 19, 2019
- What is Intel’s Foveros tech and what isn’t it? - Feb 11, 2019
- Why SemiAccurate called 10nm wrong - Jan 25, 2019